PS3 Questions (non-gamer here)

Gimpy Ric

Gimpy Ric

I'm in the market for a PS3, and besides Blu ray duties, It will be used by my sisters kids as a game console. Will the 40 gig model play PS2 games?

About Heat: Are the after market coolers I see needed?

Internet: Short of running CAT5 from the back of the house to the front, will these consoles work with 802 G wireless?

Any tips or tricks I should know?

TIA

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
I'm in the market for a PS3, and besides Blu ray duties, It will be used by my sisters kids as a game console. Will the 40 gig model play PS2 games?

The PS3 hardware is very good. Overheating is not an issue with the PS3. The engineers designed the ps3 with the proper heat sinks so heat will not be an issue at all even playing it for extended periods of time. IMO there is no need for an intercooler, save your hard earned cash on something else:D.

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
No you need the 80 gig to play PS2

Internet: Short of running CAT5 from the back of the house to the front, will these consoles work with 802 G wireless?

TIA
The 80 gig had software emulation for PS2. There are supposed to be some newr models coming out 120 or 160 gig mught or might not support PS2. The 80 gig supported PS2 in software emulation.

All models of PS3 can connect via a wireless router Access Control point. Will work with 802G wireless.

You don't need after market coolers.

If you are going to use as a DVD player you can buy and extra traditional look/feel DVD controller for about $25. PS3 has already had several firmware upgrades, now at 2.30 and is one of the fastest, if not the fastest Blu Ray DVD player around. :)

Last edited:
Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
The simple version, no intercooler needed (PS3 doesn't run that hot) and the 40GB model does not play ANY PS2 games. All PS3 models are currently discontinued.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
They are about to come out with a Metal Gear Solid 4 bundle, with a very limited amount of PS3's in gunmetal grey, and the rest in black. Only the 60 gig versions are fully backwards compatible, but I believe the the 40 gig version will play all PS1 games.

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Audioholic Field Marshall
Never had an issue with heat with my 80g. Just make sure you place it somewhere where it has a little breathing room.

The 40g model will not play ps2 games. The 80g and the older 60g models will play some ps2 games, but not all games will play right. You can search for compatibility on Sony's playstation website.

All the ps3's have built in wireless. I've plugged the usb wireless for my keyboard and mouse into it and they work with it for browsing or editing music playlists. For movies I bought the bluetooth remote controller for $20, it's much easier to use than the game controller.

Jack

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
All PS3's have wireless except the original 20 gig versions.

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
No.

No.

Yes.

Here's a good page with what each model can do:
http://www.us.playstation.com/ps3/about/specs

ThA tRiXtA

ThA tRiXtA

Full Audioholic
They are about to come out with a Metal Gear Solid 4 bundle, with a very limited amount of PS3's in gunmetal grey, and the rest in black. Only the 60 gig versions are fully backwards compatible, but I believe the the 40 gig version will play all PS1 games.
:confused:

I thought it was only the 80 gigs that were completely backwards compatible? I ask because I'm imminently going to buy one, but wanted to wait until I'm done my room first.

I need to be able to play PS1 and PS2 games... why are they discontinuing the 80 GB models?

Should I go ahead this weekend and snap up an 80 gig before they make themselves scarce?

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
The 80 gig is backaward compatible ...

I thought it was only the 80 gigs that were completely backwards compatible? I ask because I'm imminently going to buy one, but wanted to wait until I'm done my room first.

I need to be able to play PS1 and PS2 games... why are they discontinuing the 80 GB models?

Should I go ahead this weekend and snap up an 80 gig before they make themselves scarce?
You might be too late! I think the 60gig was also backward compatible ,but the 80 gig replaced it about a year ago. The going price on 80gig PS3s was $499 but because the supply is now limited the price has gone up to about $629 for new and/or used. Some places still have the 40 gig PS3 for $399 but htta is not what you want; it is not backward compatible?

Ironic, I got the PS3 80gig for a Blu Ray DVD player, then it became a gmae machine fro a month, then it was replaced by a Wii and now basically sits idle. I now use Panasonic DMP-BD30 for Blu Ray.

Good Luck, but if you can find one I would buy now unless the rumor of a 120 or 160 gig in the future is true.

ThA tRiXtA

ThA tRiXtA

Full Audioholic
:mad: AARGH. I can't find a 80GB PS3 on any website of the tech stores in and around my area.

Why do manufacturers always have to go and **** with ****. Just leave well enough alone man. ****.

Edit: Sorry, just am frustrated I let it slip through my hands. I guess I am biding my time hoping that the new models have backwards compatibility...

Last edited:
H

h317

Audioholic Intern
:mad: AARGH. I can't find a 80GB PS3 on any website of the tech stores in and around my area.
Funny. I live in Toronto. Went to FS and only found 40gb models. The saleslady was kind enough to tell me to go to EB Games for 80 gb (I want the 80 gb for the SACD feature) and I got one easily. Hope you have the same luck as me.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan

No, the 60 gig version has/had the emotion engine chip which allowed full BC, the 80 gig uses software emulation to allow play of about 80% of PS2 games. The way I look at it, once you start playing PS3 games in HD, you won't want to play PS2 games anymore, and for the price difference between the 40 and 80 gig versions, you can just keep your PS2 to play PS2 games on it. Besides, if you need more HDD space, they are easy to upgrade, or you can add an external drive. But yes, you should get one if you can find one, since you never know what the future holds.

ThA tRiXtA

ThA tRiXtA

Full Audioholic
Funny. I live in Toronto. Went to FS and only found 40gb models. The saleslady was kind enough to tell me to go to EB Games for 80 gb (I want the 80 gb for the SACD feature) and I got one easily. Hope you have the same luck as me.
Thanks for the tip, I'll check them out asap!!

No, the 60 gig version has/had the emotion engine chip which allowed full BC, the 80 gig uses software emulation to allow play of about 80% of PS2 games. The way I look at it, once you start playing PS3 games in HD, you won't want to play PS2 games anymore, and for the price difference between the 40 and 80 gig versions, you can just keep your PS2 to play PS2 games on it. Besides, if you need more HDD space, they are easy to upgrade, or you can add an external drive. But yes, you should get one if you can find one, since you never know what the future holds.
So you're saying that if you want 100% backwards compatibility you would ideally want a 60 gig PS3? I have some old games man, and I will keep/play them until I either die or they simply don't make a playstation that plays them anymore.

The real question is, why aren't they making each PS3 with the same hardware / features (aside from the HDD size)... seems rather silly to have some that will play older games and some that won't.

Off to EB Games.... :rolleyes:

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
For exactly the reason that Glocks mentioned. For the price of an 80G, you could get a 40 AND a PS2... The PS2 games don't really look any better on the PS3 and I agree completely, that once you've played the better games on the PS3, PS2 games just don't stack up for the most part. You get better sound and far better graphics and physics on the PS3; there is just no comparison. That doesn't mean that the PS2 games aren't still fun, but I pretty much don't play any of my PS2 games anymore. They dropped backwards compatibility because there wasn't a big demand for it and also because it allows them to make them cheaper. The 60G is about 95% compatible with PS1 and PS2 games, not 100%.

ThA tRiXtA

ThA tRiXtA

Full Audioholic
Well, not gonna matter for me anyway. No 80 or 60 gig models to be found at any loblaws, EB games, real canadian superstore in the whole city.

Oh well.

Thanks guys.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
60G was discontinued over a year ago. 80G was recently discontinued, which means new models coming soon.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis