D

davo

Full Audioholic
Heard it is only 24 fps.

Can anyone confirm this?

How does it effect screens with higher frame rate?

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
I'm not much into games or gaming consoles but I would put the probability of the PS3 only supporting 24 fps right around zero.

Only film content is 24 fps and although many games may have a mix of film and video, they are for the most part video. Therefore the PS3 must support 30 fps which is the standard for NTSC format video.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
In that article it says 1080p/60, but recently released is the option for 1080p/24 with automatic detection of the best mode for the display used (HDMI only).

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Erm.

The framerate of any game from any system is dynamic unless it's *capped* at a certain value.

I can tell you right now with 100% certainty that the frame rate of Motorstorm and MLB 2k7 never gets near 60fps. I'd estimate that an average value for Motorstorm in-game play is around 30fps with dips below 20 when the screen is full of action.

The number of frames rendered per second is totally dependent on what the system is rendering at that exact moment. It's exactly the same as a PC game. If you turn the details up for a given game, the minimum, maximum, and average FPS go down accordingly depending on the horsepower of your system.

R

RESmonkey

Enthusiast
If you have an HDMI cable - 1080p/60Hz
NO HDMI - 1080i/30Hz

D

davo

Full Audioholic
In that article it says 1080p/60, but recently released is the option for 1080p/24 with automatic detection of the best mode for the display used (HDMI only).
Was the auto detect an up-date via one of Sony's patches?

The original Q was more directed at DVD's and Blu-ray.

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, sony has been putting patches out at the rate of about one a month and they make it so the patch must be downloaded and installed to use the playstation network.

Since it seems bluray runs natively at 24 frames per second I think it would be more important that 24fps be supported by the ps3 than 60 in this case.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Via HDMI the PS3 would check resolutions automatically before, but I think frame rate detection is new in the most recent update (something was mentioned in the udpate text, don't know exactly which auto detect was referring to).

Last edited:
Thunder18

Thunder18

Senior Audioholic
I know someone said this is probably more due to dvd's than games. Isn't this essentially a question of whether of not the PS3 can perform 3/2 pulldown, or am I misunderstanding the question?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
No, 24fps is really a BD thing, since as avaserfi mentioned, BD is 24fps native. My understanding is that 60fps is the max for games at the moment but most don't even run as high as 30fps.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis