PS3 Controller Issues

B

BG3

Audioholic
Let me preface this by saying that I'm a huge fan of FPS (first person shooters) and Gran Turismo. I've been nearly dedicated to COD4 since I got it at the end of Nov. My issues started shortly after entering Prestige mode for the first time. I noticed that when moving forward, all I could do was creep with the occasional burst of running. It looked like a lag induced issue. I have 6Mb DSL and I'm only 1/10mi away from the main connect. So, I couldn't immediately blame the internet connection.

A fellow gamer suggested I reset the controller. I did this and it improved the situation for a week or so. But, this no longer has any effect. This past week, I started experimenting with different movement patterns, ie. rapidly zig-zaging in a forward motion, and noticed I could move in a forward direction faster but, still not as fast as the other players. So, besides earning the nicknames, Gimp and Handicap, I've determined that the controller needs to be replaced. Apparently the signal from the left joystick is inconsistent when pressed straight forward. I've also lost the ability to run which is the L3 (pressing down on the left joystick).

However, I'm curious if there is a fix that I can perform?

ThA tRiXtA

ThA tRiXtA

Full Audioholic
Borrow a friends controller to test it out? If his works you know what the deal is.

B

BG3

Audioholic
Borrow a friends controller to test it out? If his works you know what the deal is.
I can do that. Though, i'm certain it's the controller. I can move in any direction but forward and the movement is perfect.

B

BG3

Audioholic
I took the controller apart and blew out the left joystick. Upon reassembly, it works quite a bit better but, still has issues. So, I purchased a new controller and all my issues are gone. I can't believe I dealt with that for 2 1/2 months!

Thunder18

Thunder18

Senior Audioholic
Did you go for the new DualShock 3 controller?

B

BG3

Audioholic
Did you go for the new DualShock 3 controller?
is that out yet? I thought it would be a few more months still.
Jack
According to the Information Board on the PS3, the Dual Shock 3 is out. I've had the dual shocks for the PS and PS2. I decided that I have enough trouble aiming without the controller vibrating. So, at least for now, I'll pass this time around. Though, I do enjoy the Dual Shock for Gran Turismo....

obscbyclouds

obscbyclouds

Senior Audioholic
According to the Information Board on the PS3, the Dual Shock 3 is out. I've had the dual shocks for the PS and PS2. I decided that I have enough trouble aiming without the controller vibrating. So, at least for now, I'll pass this time around. Though, I do enjoy the Dual Shock for Gran Turismo....
You know, it's funny, after getting used to the vibrating, I have trouble aiming when it's not. :D

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
They are out in Japan, not sure if they have hit shelves in the US yet. I will probably pick up at least one for certain games.

Thunder18

Thunder18

Senior Audioholic
Sorry for the late reply. I picked up 2 Dual shock 3 controllers Sunday afternoon from Gamestop.

obscbyclouds

obscbyclouds

Senior Audioholic
Geesh, at least the $50 Xbox Controller comes with a little Master Chief guy.

Ugh....:mad:

Thunder18

Thunder18

Senior Audioholic
Geesh, at least the $50 Xbox Controller comes with a little Master Chief guy.

Ugh....:mad:
I can't argue with that too much except that the PS3 controllers are rechargeable out of the box. Whereas you'd have to invest in some rechargeables for the Xbox controller as well as one of the various charging kits available. All I had to do was snag a couple usb cables from digital cameras that don't get used because I just put the memory cards directly into my card reader and use the cables to charge the controllers while I spent some time on the computer.

obscbyclouds

obscbyclouds

Senior Audioholic
I can't argue with that too much except that the PS3 controllers are rechargeable out of the box. Whereas you'd have to invest in some rechargeables for the Xbox controller as well as one of the various charging kits available. All I had to do was snag a couple usb cables from digital cameras that don't get used because I just put the memory cards directly into my card reader and use the cables to charge the controllers while I spent some time on the computer.
You do have a point there. But to some extent, I like the ablility to buy and use a new battery pack (I doubt the PS3 controller battery will last forever), as well as being able to charge multiple battery packs silmutaneously. Either way, it's not a huge deal.

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Audioholic Field Marshall
The charger for my Motorola blue tooth headset for my cell phone charges the ps3 controller too. I've used it a few times.

Jack

B

BG3

Audioholic
You do have a point there. But to some extent, I like the ablility to buy and use a new battery pack (I doubt the PS3 controller battery will last forever), as well as being able to charge multiple battery packs silmutaneously. Either way, it's not a huge deal.
While I had my PS3 controller apart, I noticed that the battery pack is replaceable.

The controller is fairly easy to take apart. Remove the screws and gently separate. Take note that there is a single loop from the top half that is hooked by the bottom half located on the flat section between the toggles.

Also, if for some reason you need to remove the circuit board as I did to blow out the toggles, there is a very small, barely visible chrome screw at the bottom that requires an eye glass screw driver.

Don't forget to reinstall the toggle sticks before putting it back together.

The hardest part about re-assembly is aligning the small plastic sections located between the 1 & 2 buttons on the front.

B

BG3

Audioholic
It's funny you mention this. Since my PS3 is 20+ feet away from my seating position, I've actually used my laptop to keep my controller alive/charging while playing!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
They also sell adapters that basically plug into the wall that you can plug a USB cable into to charge while playing. I picked up a 10ft USB cable for around $10, but most of the time I just plug them in while I am watching a movie and they get charged fully.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis