PS3 as a Media Server

A

ahender

Audioholic Intern
Hi:

I have searched quite a bit but did not find what I was looking for.

For those who are using the PS3 as a media server, what is the usability like?

Can you block select a group of WAV files to play or do you select one at a time?

Instead of using it in a network, can I just hook it up to my PC and dump my files to it, then hook it up to my AV receiver?

I've looked quite a bit today but found no one actually explaining the process of playing music via a PS3.

thanks...alan

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
i'm using a PS3 as a media server with an external harddrive. but i don't really know it's features so i'm using the brute force method ...

i copy and recopy my mp3's into separate folders so i can play a folder at a time with different themes - depending on my feeling at the time.

e.g. i have a folder for rap, rock, ballads, etc. ... and one that has everything i have.

i use the ps3 because i like being able to slideshow pics (again, folder style) while listening to music. i kinda like listening to music while scrolling pics of my family.

A

ahender

Audioholic Intern
Your method is pretty much what I was thinking.

What's the actual selection process?

Do you open a folder and "select all" or something like that?

alan

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
you just open a folder and play the first song or anything in the middle, and it will play it to the end of the list. (but it does not go back to the top of the list)

Lightning Steve

Lightning Steve

Audioholic
This is what I've found
You dump all your songs onto the ps3, it'll be one big list. From there you can make up a play list with what ever titles you want (rock, Christmas songs etc) from your master list you just place songs into what ever folder you want. Just select what folder you want to hear and it will play the songs in that folder. You can select it to play through once or continuously repeat. You can also start your play list of songs and start up your photo list of pictures to play at the same time. All your songs stay in the master list, so if you delet a play list you made up they are still in the master list.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
didn't know about the playlist ... but i dumped a few hundred songs on my ps3. and i *itched and moaned as i was deleting them ONE at a time. :)

anyway, i just like the ease of creating "pseudo playlists" on my PC rather than manually making a playlist with the PS3.

Lightning Steve

Lightning Steve

Audioholic
If you press the "green triangle" button you will see at the top, a multi delet option and can go through and check which to delet all at once. Or if it's a play list just hit the green triangle button while the play list is highlighted and delet the whole thing.

To make a play list is easy, click make play list, name it, put files in it.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
lol, i'll give it some time this christmas vacation. looks like i've been using a gun to shoot flies. :D

phlakvest

phlakvest

Audioholic
You can setup windows media player to share your music then have the ps3 connect to that share. That way you only have to worry about messing with the music in one place.
There are other options like tversity.

One of the downsides for me is the fact you have to use the ps3 controller or remote(No built in IR). There are ways arround this but they are expensive(IR2BT) or you lose functionality.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
If you have a universal remote such as a Logitech Harmony remote, you can get the Nyko Blue Wave remote and just use the IR dongle that comes with it so your Harmony remote can control the PS3. I have all my music shared on the PC and I use Twonky Media as my media server software since I had issues with WMP 11. But I've never created playlists or separate folders although it would be easy to create a folder on the PC with all the music I want to listen to and then delete it when I'm done. But adding an external hard drive is easy, or you could just upgrade the internal hard drive to as large of a drive as you like, as long as it's a 2.5" laptop drive.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis