PS2 Surpasses 150 Million Units

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
PlayStation 2 Surpasses Unimaginable 150 Million Units Milestone
05/19/2010 Written by Jonathan Leack

Sony’s world-famous PlayStation 2 platform is not only known by many as the best-selling console of all time, but is regarded to as the best gaming platform of all-time. With its wide-range of popular titles, great support and brand-name loyalty, the PS2 has continued to sell strong for roughly 10-years now. It isn’t done yet, though, and the PS2 continues to sell despite being a decade old.

According to the most recent and accurate prediction data by VGChartz, the PlayStation 2 has already sold over 1-million consoles in 2010. To top that off, the console has also managed to officially sell over 150 million units to-date. It was nearly 2-years ago when Kaz Kirai, ex-CEO of Sony, predicted that Sony’s console would manage to sell such an unimaginable amount of units. It seems he was correct, and more surprisingly, it looks like

Sony’s record-breaking console will continue to surpass 150 million.
The PlayStation 2 was released in 2000 worldwide and was sold out for weeks following release. The PS2 is currently available in Slim form for under $100.

Source: PlayStation LifeStyle

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
I have no ideal, but the are still moving pretty well even ten years later.

From May 9th to May 15th PS2 Hardware Sales were 35,122 according to VGChartz

Last edited:
N

Nugu

Audioholic
With the removal of BC from ps3 and the huge selection of sub-10$ games, who wouldn't? It's perfect for any casual gamer who wants to get the maximum return on his gaming investment. For the cost of a ps3 console i could have a new ps2 and over 20 (good) games (buying used).

Hell i just bought a new wireless ps2 controller 2 weeks ago for 15$ incl shipping for my old fatty. I still need to finish my .Hack//G.U. games, glad I bought those when I did considering they'd cost ~100$ to buy now.

I wonder when they plan to announce continued production of the console, I see it selling for another 5 years easily.

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
With the removal of BC from ps3 and the huge selection of sub-10$ games, who wouldn't? It's perfect for any casual gamer who wants to get the maximum return on his gaming investment. For the cost of a ps3 console i could have a new ps2 and over 20 (good) games (buying used).

Hell i just bought a new wireless ps2 controller 2 weeks ago for 15$ incl shipping for my old fatty. I still need to finish my .Hack//G.U. games, glad I bought those when I did considering they'd cost ~100$ to buy now.

I wonder when they plan to announce continued production of the console, I see it selling for another 5 years easily.
Sony won't do another five years at least not in the major markets ( JA,NA,EU,AU) I believe the PS2 will still be in production for sometime to come for Brazil, Argentina,South Africa, and Nigeria the release dates for these countries range from 2005-2009. Also Sony has not made an official statement on ending production of the PS2 like they did with the PS1 back in 2006.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Last I heard, the PS2 is already out of production in NA. Has been for over a year. The facility where they were making them is closed down (a few miles from my house).

I still have a fat and a slim PS2 and I haven't touched either in years.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis