PS2 DD 5.1 Decoding Options

M

mad_krons

Audiophyte
Hello,
I have a PlayStation 2 console and I would like to engage the 5.1 capabilities of the unit via the optical out. I have a set of Cambridge SoundWorks MegaWorks 550 THX (5.1) (http://uk.europe.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=4&subcategory=25&product=240) which connect to source via the three 1/8" stereo jacks to the inputs on the subwoofer. The PS2 does not have its own DD/DTS decoder so my question is what is the best way (in terms of budget and simplicity) to play my games in 5.1 through these speakers? Do i have to buy a receiver or a dvd player which has the decoders? is there a product that can solely decode these audio formats and put them through to the speakers? Thanks to any contributors.

M

mad_krons

Audiophyte
More PS2 Decoding Options

Hello,
Thanks for the replies. I would definately like to retain the speakers Ive got but these decoding boxes are rather expensive. I would like to inquire about the feasibility of using a pci decoding card with a 5.1 sound card. Is it possible to connect the PS2 into a PC with a decoder card which supports an optical input adn then output the audio to the speakers via a 5.1 soundboard? I have a few older computers lying around which could easily serve as hubs for this process. Thanks.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Yes thats possible.

The only issue is the analog outputs of computers are fairly noisey (hissing sound). It's one of the reasons the logitech 5.1 sets has a hissy center.

Plus, you would have to keep room and a computer running.

One thing to note is that those speakers are designed for Nearfield listening. SO if a large room, they might loose output, imaging, soundstage etc.

SheepStar

M

mad_krons

Audiophyte
Still trying...

Hello,
Below is a shot of a Technics DD/DTS decoder (ebay) and the inputs on the back of my sub. Is it possible to get RCA to 1/8" mini adapters to somehow fuse the paired signals together so that i can connect my speakers? The Creatives have three 1/8" minis consisting of front(l+r), sub+center, rear(l+r). are there cables/adapters that can take 2 rca ports and fuse them to a female 1/8" mini plug? Or would I have to buy some Y-cables and connect them from the decoder directly into the inputs on the sub? Can this work? Thanks.

Attachments

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
I don't believe the PS2 has the ability to do games in 5.1 due to the lack of Dolby Digital or DTS encoding. I believe the best it can do is ProLogic through stereo when gaming. I may be wrong on this, however.

M

mad_krons

Audiophyte
You are. PS2 can output a raw DD 5.1 signal via the optical out, however it needs to be decoded. The same goes for the xbox, although the 360 has native decoders built in. The PS3 will decode DD/DTS as well.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Hi Ho said:
I don't believe the PS2 has the ability to do games in 5.1 due to the lack of Dolby Digital or DTS encoding. I believe the best it can do is ProLogic through stereo when gaming. I may be wrong on this, however.
PS2 has DD and DTS, all you need is a disk, and a decoder.

I think you would be better off getting the computer one. Its got the proper inputs and its designed to work with your speakers. You can't make 6 channel into 3 channel is cables. It won't know which one is which.

SheepStar

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
The Xbox does not have decoders. It has encoders (DolbyDigital Live). I don't believe the PS2 has this. The PS2 will output 5.1 DD and DTS from DVD's but unless I am mistaken, it will not do games in 5.1.

V

varkeast

Junior Audioholic
I agree with Hi Ho, there are no games for the ps2 that have dd or dts audio, bet you can get from games on the ps2 is prologic stereo. It WILL pass dd and dts on for dvds however

jbrillo

jbrillo

Junior Audioholic
I hope this helps.
I remember getting my PS2 a few years ago and hooking up the optical connection to DD/DTS receiver. I researched & found that a PS2 game has to be encoded w/DD in order for it to be true 5.1. Many of the games are in Pro Logic II or IIx. If memory serves, it was possible to have 5.1-encoded games, but there were issues(can't excatly remember what). I am sure that there is at least one 5.1-game, I think it was Silent Hill. There may be a couple of others, but I know they were rare. My Madden '06 & Star Wars: Battlefront II are both THX certified games with Pro Logic IIx. I'm pretty darn sure on this too. I wanted to play 5.1-games pretty bad & remember being disappointed to find that there were scarce. Pro Logic IIx is pretty good w/BF2, but sounds just like regular Pro Logic with Madden.

Here's a link to Dolby:

http://www.dolby.com/consumer/games/games_and_consoles4.html

Clearly shows that X-box is the only console that supports 5.1 during gameplay. Theres even a tab you can click on that shows games w/Dolby technology. Check it out.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis