PS2 Controller Extensions

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
Has anybody extended PS2 controller cables by adding additional wire in the middle. I have a riser that is 8' deep, plus a few feet in the component closet. I am trying to run the controller cable through my conduit, but I am ending up having to string several extention cable together. Wondered if I could use some 22 gauge, 4 conductor shielded cable I have to add into the middle of the PS2 cable. I was thinking of just cutting the PS2 cable and splicing in the additional length of wire.

Any thoughts?

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
I would think it shouldn't be a problem. I would've thought that the PS2 cable had more than 4 conductors though. Also, if you wanted, you could maybe opt for 20ga wire, as it would have less resistance and help with signal loss over the cable run.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The logitech wireless controllers work great at amazing distances. The only problem I've run into with them is when you have games that have button press sensitivity for certain actions, like MGS3. Button press sensitivity actions would always do whatever fully pressed was, there was no "middle" point. Other than that, I actually like them better than the OEM controllers.

I've also used the extension cords, they work fine too, except that you still have a cable.

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
Wireless is out since the unit will be behind me and behind a 1 3/4 solid core door (the unit is in the component closet) I have the extension cables now but the connectors are rather large. They do fit in my conduit, but I would still need to have 2 extension cable per controller in addition to the length from the controller itself. Thanks for the inputs so far.

JohnA

JohnA

Audioholic Chief
You could always use a wall plate with a S-video jack in it....solder the back side to the PS2 line going to the PS2 and then solder a S-video plug on an extension cable. That way you can disconnect the controlers when not in use. Just make sure that you match the pins up. :D

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The Logitech controllers are 2.4GHz, so they don't need to be line of site, just within about 20 feet (claimed, it's actually a bit better than that). If I were you, I'd at least go buy one and try it out, if it doesn't work, you have a perfectly valid reason to return it. I fire up the PS2 then close the entertainment center while playing and it works fine.

Battery life is said to be 50Hrs, but with vibration off, they last a LOT longer than that. I've got at least 4x that on the two of mine right now.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis