Projector Screen or TV

J

JLoving

Audiophyte
I've been browsing these forums for a while and just recently made an account, I see that everyone here is really helpful and I'd like some input on a decision I'm trying to make.

I recently bought a new home that has a finished bonus room that is 16.5'x13'x8'(LxWxH) and am planning on making this into the movie/sports watching area. What I am having trouble deciding on is do I go for the projector and around 106" screen, or do I opt for the 65" LED.

For the projector route, a screen that size would be nice, although with the distance requirement, it would really only allow one row of seats since the room is only 16' long. With the TV, I could move the seats closer and possibly fit in another row or just add some extra chairs for when more people are there.

Based on room dimensions and personal experience, what would you guys recommend? Honestly I can see it going either way, but having that big screen size is tempting, I'm just not sure if it's right for my room size. Cost isn't really a factor and I'm pretty sure the projector setup would be cheaper. The projector I had looked at was the Panasonic AE7000U paired with a Da-Lite screen at somewhere around $3k. For sound, I recently took advantage of the sale EMP had going on and picked up their front 3, the E55Ti towers and the E56Ci center channel.

If I need to provide anymore info let me know, thanks for any input you can give.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I would say what should determine that is how well you can control the light levels in that room. If it is closed off from windows and light from other rooms, go for the projector.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Front projection will almost always provide a far more immersive experience.

With 16' to work with, you actually have more than most people do and with a 16' viewing distance, you typically would be at 140" or so for the screen diagonal to be properly immersive.

I would go with two rows of seating and about a 118" screen. Front row at 10' and second row at 16' would give a nice balance of size to viewing distance.

I would not be looking at DaLite screens for the money.

Call the AE7000 about $2600, that would be about $400 for the screen, and you are getting a low end or junk screen for $400.

If you want the best image quality possible, I would go with the JVC RS45 and the Carada Criterion in Brilliant White.

You still would want to properly paint the room (walls AND ceiling) and if possible have dark carpet. You would want to ensure that you have zoned lighting with at least some directional lighting above the seating area (lots of options!).

Front projection is rarely 'cheaper' than a flat panel display, but even with the $10,000 90" Sharp, you aren't going to get the same level of immersion that a projector offers.

Oh, and if you don't get the projector, you really should not be thinking about a LED/LCD for that room, but should be going with a Panasonic or Samsung plasma instead.

J

JLoving

Audiophyte
Front projection will almost always provide a far more immersive experience.

With 16' to work with, you actually have more than most people do and with a 16' viewing distance, you typically would be at 140" or so for the screen diagonal to be properly immersive.

I would go with two rows of seating and about a 118" screen. Front row at 10' and second row at 16' would give a nice balance of size to viewing distance.

I would not be looking at DaLite screens for the money.

Call the AE7000 about $2600, that would be about $400 for the screen, and you are getting a low end or junk screen for $400.

If you want the best image quality possible, I would go with the JVC RS45 and the Carada Criterion in Brilliant White.

You still would want to properly paint the room (walls AND ceiling) and if possible have dark carpet. You would want to ensure that you have zoned lighting with at least some directional lighting above the seating area (lots of options!).

Front projection is rarely 'cheaper' than a flat panel display, but even with the $10,000 90" Sharp, you aren't going to get the same level of immersion that a projector offers.

Oh, and if you don't get the projector, you really should not be thinking about a LED/LCD for that room, but should be going with a Panasonic or Samsung plasma instead.

Took a look at the Carada website, looks like the screen would be about $870, which is a couple hundred more than the screen from DaLite, close enough. The $3k ballpark was just that, not a limit or anything.

Haven't had anyone steer away from a Samsung LED before, looking at prices their Plasmas are quite a bit cheaper so that's nice. Quality wise I can't imagine there being a huge gap, is there a specific reason for going with the Plasma for movie watching? I have never owned a Plasma, only LED's, so I'm not too familiar with their advantages in this type of setting.

The reason for the 106" diagonal screen is that the walls are angled at the sides, bonus rooms tend to have walls like these. Where the screen would go is about 8' wide, then the walls start to angle, so a larger screen wouldn't really work; sorry, forgot to mention that. Best way to picture it is it resembles NezFF's room quite a bit, he has a thread with his setup over at AVS.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I'm familiar with rooms which are impacted with roof lines, if that's what you can fit, than that is fine, but you can still do two rows of seating for sure as ideal for a 106" diagonal is about 11' viewing distance.

There is no DaLite screen (unless used) that is similar in quality to the Carada Criterion screen at a lower price. DaLite and Draper both have 'cheap' models, but their similar models cost more than the equivalent Carada screen.

The Cinema Contour:
Cinema Contour®
from DaLite runs $1,527 (MSRP) for part # 87160V which is their 1.3 gain 106" diagonal screen. This has a angled velvet covered border on a large sturdy frame with rear mounting.
It's a bit over $1,000 online for that screen.

So, for a similar quality screen the least you will be paying from DaLite is about $200 more than the Carada screen.

The Da-Snap screen is lower quality frame and still more expensive. So, I'm not sure what fixed frame screen DaLite has which costs less. Unless you go used, which may be a great way to get a very good value screen.

There are tons of posts of plasma vs. LCD for flat panel displays, but the bottom line is that while LCD can be brighter, it suffers from certain weaknesses which are inherent to the LCD technology. For a flat panel, going Samsung LCD is about the best way you can go. Sony is right up there as well. Sharp is weaker, but has some nice stuff. But, if you want better black levels and extremely good image uniformity with as good as it gets motion handling, plasma trumps LCD. In a bright room, the glass and lack of brightness can be an issue, but when it gets dark and it is movie time, the plasma will just look better. The lower price tag helps as well! Panasonic VT series is phenomenal, and the Samsung 7000/8000 series are both extremely good looking. Panasonic VT series really aren't a lot 'less' than what a Samsung LCD/LED may run you, but the image is the best in the game with reliability that is (typically) second to none.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis