W

Win_Heger

Audiophyte
I'm in the process of doing a home theater room and here's my dilema.

The room is 19x12x8. The home came with a Sony VPL-HS1 projector whick we will most likely use. If we leave the projector on the rear wall it will require a 120" diag. screen. We'll be sitting about 14 feet back and I think this is too large. We can use a ceiling mount and get the screen down to about 90" diag., probably easier to view.

Is my thinking correct? Would I be better served with a new television of some configuration?

We'll be using a Stewart Firehawk screen which the dealer tells me will give us a very good picture.

Happy holidays,
Win

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
You don't need a new projector if the one there is already one you are happy with. Project it onto a white wall and make that determination yourself. Also check www.projectorcentral.com for specs and reviews. Remember - a new bulb in a projector is almost as good as getting a brand new projector. My projector was looking really bad - then the bulb blew... put in a new bulb and it looked ten times better than just before the bulb blew. Fantastic!

If you are paying someone for a screen at a retail store, then you will likely be recommended to Stewart and their premium stuff. They are really expensive, but put out some top notch stuff. The screen almost seems like overkill for that projector though. A Da-Lite may cost half as much and serve you just as well. You mainly want, if you can do it, a permanently mounted tab tensioned screen.

Your viewing distance should be about 1.5x screen width minimum. You can get closer, but will pay the price in quality. If possible, try bringing your projector into your local store if that is where you are getting a screen from if THEY have a screen they should have no problem hooking a source to your projector so you can do a little experimenting with screen size and viewing distance.

Remember, HD is the BEST your projector can display - it gets much, MUCH worse with regular TV and VCR tapes. DVD should look good though and probably should be your test material.

T

tdenny

Enthusiast
I agree with BMSTRIX that you don't need a new projector. I have a BenQ projector and currently have my screen size set to 93" diagonal and watch it from 14 feet. If your projector is already far enough away from the wall to display a full 120" diagonal you can easily adjust your projector to any number of smaller projection sizes. I would think your picture would be a little better with a smaller projection image as well.

As far as screens go:

Go to Stewart's web site and there are a number of "standard" sizes that they generally make more of than others but you can have your screen made to order any size. Stewart makes a terrific screen. I personally chose Da-Lite (BMSTRIX mentioned above) and it was about half as much and is outstanding. If you really think the 120" is too big then by going smaller you'll save some money on your screen as well. If you buy a Stewart or Da-Lite make sure the frame has the "velvety" type covering. This is excellent for masking any edge irregularities you might have. The screens look nice and are assembled and mounted very easily.

If you are at all considerng a new TV (and you already have a room set up for projection) you should seriously consider buying one of the newer model DLP projectors. You can find a true high def resolution projector for a very reasonable price. I run HDTV and the DVD player through mine via DVI-D cable the picture is great.

Good luck.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis