Projector Lamp Replacement

majorloser

majorloser

We've talked about it on the forum before, "How long should a projector bulb last?" Some have stated they last for +2,000 hours. Some have never had a bulb burn out or become too dim.

Well, I've finally had enough! My projector, an Optoma H78-DC3 which I got the end of last August, will not put out enough lumens any more to even be watchable. The bulb has about 600 hours and I can't even increase the brightness enough to see it properly with my room lights out. And I have complete light control in my theater. It's supposed to last 2,000 hours in "bright mode". I've only had it in that mode for the last month or so since the thing started fading. And yes, for those who ask, I have a decent screen. It's a Stewart with Firehawk material.

I guess I'll order a new bulb in the morning and see if that helps. If it doesn't there is a problem with the projector.

My previous projector was a Yamaha DPX-1. The bulbs would last about 1,000 hours before they would become too dim. They were rated for 1,000 hours, though.

I'm beginning to hate this whole light bulb business with projectors. :mad:

majorloser

majorloser

Well, I guess it's good news.

The replacement light bulb for the Optoma H78-DC3 is only $399.99 + S&H

My old Yamaha's bulbs cost $599.00 + S&H

WHAT A DEAL :(

Matt34

Matt34

majorloser said:
We've talked about it on the forum before, "How long should a projector bulb last?" Some have stated they last for +2,000 hours. Some have never had a bulb burn out or become too dim.

Well, I've finally had enough! My projector, an Optoma H78-DC3 which I got the end of last August, will not put out enough lumens any more to even be watchable. The bulb has about 600 hours and I can't even increase the brightness enough to see it properly with my room lights out. And I have complete light control in my theater. It's supposed to last 2,000 hours in "bright mode". I've only had it in that mode for the last month or so since the thing started fading. And yes, for those who ask, I have a decent screen. It's a Stewart with Firehawk material.

I guess I'll order a new bulb in the morning and see if that helps. If it doesn't there is a problem with the projector.

My previous projector was a Yamaha DPX-1. The bulbs would last about 1,000 hours before they would become too dim. They were rated for 1,000 hours, though.

Ugh, only 600 hours.:eek: Hope mine run a bit longer than that.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
majorloser said:

Yes, let's hope it is the bulb.

But, if you check into lamp ratings, I am almost certain that the rating is to half lumens of rated output at the stated hours. But, that is some statistical figure only, and does not apply to 100% of bulbs :mad:

Any warranty on the bulb by the lamp maker?

majorloser

majorloser

mtrycrafts said:
Yes, let's hope it is the bulb.

But, if you check into lamp ratings, I am almost certain that the rating is to half lumens of rated output at the stated hours. But, that is some statistical figure only, and does not apply to 100% of bulbs :mad:

Any warranty on the bulb by the lamp maker?
Only 90 days on the bulb............:mad:
It doesn't matter, though. The bulb still works, it's not burned out. I looked at the bulb and you can definitely see the blackening of the glass and the crackled effect of the reflector. It would probable blow if I left it in longer. One weird thing is the heads on the screws that hold it were definitely twisted like the screws were put in with wrong screwdriver.

I bought the projector new from Projector Solutions. The box had a factory seal so I think it's OK.

majorloser

majorloser

brian32672 said:
Ahh, now you are wondering why you did not go with a Mitsubishi.
I did mention that to you, and said I would also not go with another Optoma. (granted I have had 4 Optomas)
Optoma = Poor customer service, & 90 day lamp.
Mitsubish = 1 year warranty on bulb or 1,000 hours. (also 3 years or 10k hours on DMD chip)
Granted that is not with all their models, but would have been on one, that was in your price range.

See pic below of product brochure.
Thing have changed for Mitsubishi. The WXGA DLP projectors only have 3-Years on Parts and Labor, 3-Year on ERA, 3-Years/10000-hours on TI-DLP™ DMD Chip, 90-Days on lamp

Oh, I did get a better price on the Optoma bulb. $370 + S&H from www.projector.com

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis