Projector for TV/Movies/Games

F

Fungui

Enthusiast
I am planning on purchasing a projector and screen, and have a few questions. I am leaning towards a 136inch Carada Criterion, and was thinking that the 235:1 aspect ratio would be neat. I will be using it for movies, tv (mainly football), and video games (360/pc). Is there any reason why I should consider a different aspect ratio? Most of my movie collection is bluray, but I do have some older dvd's. I am thinking that the brilliant white will be good as well.

My aim is to be able to use the projector in some light, as the room it will be in for now has white walls/ceiling and one window. I plan on getting shut-out blinds, but still want to be able to watch football/movies/games with enough light to entertain in. We will be moving soon, and the new house will have a dedicated theater room with dark carpet/walls/ceiling. In both cases, however, I would like to be able to have a good picture with some ambient light.

As far as the projector goes, I am looking in the $5000 range. If I do end up with a 235:1 ratio is it a good idea to invest in a projector with an anamorphic lens? I do not care for 3d, so 3d performance is not important. I plan on about 14' from the lens to the screen.

Thanks in advance

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
If you intendt to get a 2.35 screen, you should plan to spend several thousand dollars on an anamorphic lens a lens slide for the projector. If you have zero intent on 3D, then get the JVC RS45. Most of the decent projectors, and future projectors, will be 3D capable, but the JVC, from what I hear, does not handle 3D as well as others, yet it produces the best 2D image you will hope to see.

If you do not want to spend the money on a anamorphic lens, then don't get an anamorphic screen! The projector is 1.78:1, HDTV is 1.78:1, and many movies are 1.78:1, so it is only the movies which are native 2.35:1 which will benefit from an anamorphic setup. It's a great way to go, but really only makes sense if done properly.

As for your current house and lighting...

Get your lighting under control!

Use zoned, directional lighting away from the screen and you can add a fair amount of lighting to the room without killing the picture on screen.

Example:
AV Integrated - Custom Audio Visual Integration In Washington DC Metropolitan Area

F

Fungui

Enthusiast
BMXTRIX,

Thanks for your reply. I was looking at that model, I read a few reviews on it last week. I will have to look into exactly how many movies are 2.35 native, is this something that is common? I read that Lord of the Rings, and a few others that peaked my interested were 2.35 native.

That link is exactly what I was looking for. Does anyone know of a similar comparison, but with the lighting and a top of the line 65"+ LED hdtv to compare against? I really feel the need to see one in person. From the pictures, it doesn't look like optimal light condition (while being able to entertain) would bother me. I do want to make sure before spending that much money, however.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis