H

henderan

Audiophyte
I am in the process of finishing my basement, which will include a home theater 14 wide and extends over 30 feet in length. I am planning on the seating to be 15 feet from the screen (102" diagonal). Researching the different projector specs, I find several have significantly different throw ratios. For example, the Panasonic PTAE-700U shows a throw distance of 20'6", whereas the Sanyo PLV-Z2 has throw distance of 13.4'. I am concerned if fan noise is going to be more of a problem since the Sanyo (and several other models) would be closer. Also, it appears the Panasonic needs a much longer throw distance than several other brands. Is there concern for having a lengthy (perhaps 20' is not lengthy?) throw?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Every LCD projector these days, as far as I know, has a zoom lens on it.

If you check www.projectorcentral.com you will find close (but not always perfect!) throw distance ratios. The Panasonic has a 1:1 to 2:1 zoom lens - so you can mount it from (about) 102" to 204" away from your screen!

That makes the Panasonic one of the most versatile projectors to mount that is currently available, at that price.

You can probably expect that your projector will typically be mounted pretty close to dead overhead unless you are able to use a projector like the Panny and put it further away from the primary seating spot. I would likely go with the Panny or, if I could swing it, the new Sharp XV-2000 which uses a 1280x720 DLP chip.

You already own that 102" diagonal 16:9 screen?

Oh, and noise is always at least something of an issue, but with current projectors, fan noise is about as much as plasma noise. It just isn't that strong, and only noticable during near silent moments of films... dramatic pause.

H

henderan

Audiophyte
Thanks for the suggestions. I have not purchased a screen yet. Hopefully I can start this basement project soon.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
You will find 52" x 92" wide screens (106" diagonal) to be a very common size. Smaller or bigger is fine, but it really depends on light control in the room and how far you will be sitting. I would go 92" wide with how far away you will be sitting though.

I would also take a close look at the Sharp if it is in your price range. Sharp has put out excellent 1280x720 DLP projectors for years and this one is a new benchmark for price for them.

H

henderan

Audiophyte
Thanks for suggestion on the Sharp. I have a question about this though...I see another model by Sharp that appears to be the exact same... the DT-400. Any ideas of the differences?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
It may be a commercial version or a different lens version. Both were released at the same time at the same price and the same specs.

Projector Central has the Z2000 in house and is currently building the review for it. I imagine that if you shoot them an email you will get a response from them directly, or in the review of the projector they post.

I know my Panny PT-L300U also had an idnetical 'consumer' version. Same model entirely, but a different model number. It definitely happens.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis