Projector distance question

E

Epetti

Audioholic Intern
Planning for a projector install and I had a question. My seating distance from screen will be 14', and my room length is 23'. I'm aiming for about a 127" width constant height 2.35 screen and currently leaning toward the Epson 5040UB projector. Given these specs, it looks like the Epson could be installed anywhere from about 15' to 20' from the screen.

Is there any recommendation of whether it's better to install closer or farther? I'm guessing closer gives brighter image, but also any fan noise will be more apparent, especially if it's essentially right over my head. So farther will be quieter but dimmer. Any other pros or cons to weigh when considering the install distance?

Thanks in advance.

P

pwlong

Audioholic Intern
The Epsons HomeCinema line do pretty well from that distance. My 5030UB is just over 12' from our ~100" screen and it's plenty bright for viewing, gaming, etc. The 5040 throws 2500 lumens which is better than the 5030 and I've had no issues.

Our setting area is also pretty much right below the projector, and the noise has never been distracting. I will say that for 3D playback, the fan kicks up a notch, and can be heard during quiet scenes -- but we really don't watch 3D titles, so again, not noticeable.

Epson makes a nice projector, so I expect you'll be pleased with its performance.

Take a look at my setup in case it helps you out:
http://havingfunalongtheway.com/basement-home-theater-av-component-setup/

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Going to start off with asking if the wall specifically is better for a 127" width or if there is some other specific reason you are going 2.35 instead of 1.78 with your screen?

The 1.78 screen size with 127" width would be 146" diagonal, which would be pretty typical for a 14' viewing distance (140" to 150"), but with a 54" screen height, you will have a 110" diagonal 16:9 image, which is rather small from 14' away, and more typical for 10 or 11 foot viewing distance.

Really on point to your question, the zoom range is as follows:
127" width: 14'3" to 30'1"
54" height: 10'10" to 22'9"

The crossover range is 14'3" to 22'9" - so that's where you must have the lens to screen distance.

You are fine anywhere in that range, but generally people go a bit closer in that range as it delivers a brighter on screen image. This is especially true with Epson and their long zoom lenses as they have a lot of light falloff towards the back of their zoom range.

I am not talking against 2.35 setups, but I strongly encourage anyone who is considering going down this path to be 100% sure that their room is actually ideal for that type of setup and features a very wide wall that does not support the full height of a 1.78 screen appropriately. I mean, you will still be projecting a 1.78 image, so why not just make that the screen size if you can and never have to worry about changing the projection setup?

E

Epetti

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for the tips. That's helpful.

Regarding aspect ratio, I am certain on the 2.35. My room does support it, actually better than 16:9 (which would start bumping the ceiling and my center speaker) and philosophically I do really want my 2.35 movies to be larger.

So now I'm stuck on a screen size question. I've been playing with screen sizes using the SMPTE recommendations as a starting point. After playing a bunch of movie scenes on my wall and comparing notes with friends and relatives we've decided that 128'' could work but is just a hair on the small side, and 138'' could work but is just a little too big (speakers also start to get in the way if you sit on the edge). What is perfect is right in between at about 133''.

But finding the right screen from a good brand at the right price I'm finding to be very difficult. Silver Ticket makes a 128" in my price range. Elite makes a 138" in my price range. Stewart makes that perfect 133" far, far outside my price range, even for their Cima.

So, any recommendations on a brand that makes about that size in a decent quality for a decent (Silver Ticket or Elite-level) price? I'm not quite up to the DIY approach I think. Or am I just picking nits and I should just go with either the smaller or bigger size? But I can't quite be fully comfortable with that yet. Other thoughts/suggestions?

Last edited:
BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I'm more a fan of screen size. I sit a bit more towards the front of any theater I go into, so I would go with the 138" size. Not sure of your room setup and limitations, so I don't know what your workaround options may be.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis