Problems with Yamaha Aventage A3000

W

warek

Audiophyte
I have owned this unit for 3 years, I run an OPPO 83 as a source DVD Blu ray player
Last year when I selected yamaha setup it did not display on TV, I tried it several times over a week and it was not visible. I had made no wiring or other changes before or after. Then for no apparent reason it began working normally and the on screen display has been working perfectly ever since.
The receiver randomly decides to switch itself off, sometimes 3-4 times in the same day, then works perfectly for months. Last month it turned itself off once, after running for 4 hours on low playing 7 channel stereo internet radio via an Apple TV.
I currently have some of my equipment in storage, so have the A3000 powering front L and R speakers and (centre and surrounds L and R) running through a power amp. I have the front presence and back surrounds all set at -10 under the setup manual setup speaker level.
I watched half a movie last night and it was a Dolby digital 5.1 DVD. The receiver was set to Movie Sci Fi, and I also have subs on mono into a DSpeaker antimode 8033 with 4 large subwoofers. The Yamaha consistently showed PCM on its display screen and I thought the bass was lacking. Tonight I finished the movie, same settings, but this time the Yamaha displayed Dolby digital and there was more bass.
It is common for the Yamaha to display PCM on its display when I am watching a dolby digital 5.1 source. Often displays decoder off when movies are starting or finishing. Sometimes it also alternates between PCM and ?
It also seems to lack a little volume at times and I usually run the Yamaha at -13 on volume control for normal movie use, and sometimes at -10,but I do have it in a room of 150 cubic metres.

Thanks for any suggestions

Kevin

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Have U tried a Processor Reset...

Just my $0.05... ;)
Yes, I would try a reset. If that does not work, I would talk to Yamaha. They have a reputation for above average reliability, and that was an expensive receiver. It is too costly not to warrant an attempt at repair.

I note you have been using 7 channel stereo mode. I would not do this in future. First of all it sounds awful and demands power from all seven amps. In the tight space of a receiver that is a bad thing to do. That is an unnecessary mode and should be abolished.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Assuming you're in the USA, here is the Yamaha audio products support contact info: (714) 522-9105 Select Option 5 (Open 24 hours-a-day).

I highly recommend you listen to the 2 members advice, especially regarding doing a hard reset, prior to contacting Yamaha support.

W

warek

Audiophyte
Thanks for the suggestion, can you explain or direct me to information about how to a reset, as I have been unable to find out?

Kevin

Have U tried a Processor Reset...

Just my $0.05... ;)

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
Check page 147 in the Operation Manual...
It in the OSD under Intialize, select ALL.
This will return the AVR to its factory default settings, Station presets, Scene, Audio EQ...

Just my $0.05... ;)

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Initializing (reset to factory default settings) the Yamaha RX-A3000

Page 144 will guide you thru accessing the “Advanced” menu to get to the "INITIALIZE" option.

Page 147 shows next menu options. Choose “All”.

Last edited by a moderator:
WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
It’s possible you have a number of different issues that may are may not be specifically originating with the Yamaha.

The receiver randomly decides to switch itself off, sometimes 3-4 times in the same day, then works perfectly for months. Last month it turned itself off once, after running for 4 hours on low playing 7 channel stereo internet radio via an Apple TV.
I had a similar problem with my older Yamaha RX-Z9 – it would randomly shut off for no rhyme or reason, even sitting on the floor of my office with nothing at all connected to it. An internet search found info on a service bulletin that said the problem could be fixed by tightening the screws on the back panel where the speaker binding posts are. The screws secure the internal circuit board the binding posts are connected to. I did it; the screws barely moved, maybe only 1/8 of a turn or even less, but it took care of the problem. Don’t know if this is your issue or not, but can’t hurt to try. I’d tighten all the rear panel screws, might solve your display issue as well.

I watched half a movie last night and it was a Dolby digital 5.1 DVD.

The Yamaha consistently showed PCM on its display screen and I thought the bass was lacking. Tonight I finished the movie, same settings, but this time the Yamaha displayed Dolby digital and there was more bass.

It is common for the Yamaha to display PCM on its display when I am watching a dolby digital 5.1 source.
With some DVDs, you have to select “Dolby Digital 5.1” from the disc’s menu. If you’re getting PCM by default, then check the disc’s menu – look for a selection that says “Audio Settings” or something similar. If you have a disc that automatically goes to Dolby Digital when you start it, you might keep that one handy for a “sanity check” when it seems that others are not getting Dolby Digital and you think they’re supposed to. Another good “sanity check” is just about any current major-network TV show – NCIS, Dateline, Tonight Show, etc. If they automatically pop up as Dolby Digital, then the receiver is working as it should.

Often displays decoder off when movies are starting or finishing. Sometimes it also alternates between PCM and ?
For DVDs, this is perfectly normal. Often a DVDs menu page is PCM, while the movie is Dolby Digital. If you pause or stop the disc it will default back to PCM until you resume “Play.”

It also seems to lack a little volume at times and I usually run the Yamaha at -13 on volume control for normal movie use, and sometimes at -10, but I do have it in a room of 150 cubic metres.
DVDs typically have lower volume settings compared to other sources.

I wouldn’t worry about using the presence speakers. Yamaha’s been including extra amplifier channels for them for well over 20 years, long before anyone else was doing 7 channels. They know what they’re doing. I’ve had four Yamaha flagship receivers dating all the way back to 1993 and have never had any issues using the presence speakers.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis