Problems with my speaker cables,

H

hrtbeat2

Audioholic
I've read the articles above about speaker cables and so on before posting and I'm still somewhat confused. My problem started with my new receiver and speakers, and my DVD player. I get loud pops when my dvd player skips or I jump to a screen and so on. This is my 4th receiver ONKYO 702 that I've returned. The one at the store was doing the same thing untill I messed around with the HZs and that did away with some of the popping. I was blaming it on all the new items I bought (DVD,receiver,speakers). Now all my speaker cables are Monster THX (which I've learned to hate Monster crap! :mad: ) but anyway they all have gold push ins connectors. Today I was using my DVD disc cleaner and it has a purity test on it and what do my ears hear when ZERO noise is to be heard from my speakers Small hums and pops when it went to the next track!! :confused: So I rechecked all my connections and they were fine, and when I played back the track the same thing occured :mad: . Now I have unhooked all the TV cables and the popping was still their not as bad but their. So I'm thinking the noise is coming from the speaker cables?? It's not doing it to my surrounds(side,rear) or center just the Left/Right fronts. So with all this said should I go with a different speaker cable? Whats the best for the $$$? My brother in-law wires for one of the biggest auto-dealers in Tampa/clearwater Florida with this cable which I no is 100% OFC. It has a blue casing around it thats all I know should I get some of that? Thanks for taking your time to read and help me with this problem. Dan

M

mustang_steve

Senior Audioholic
Just go buy some 12/14ga generic OFC and try it out bare (no connector)...that way you can test out your theory on the cheap.

edit: just don't go out buying 40ft or some crazy length like that...just get a few feet, enough to test your popping out, and see how it goes....if you like the generic stuff (to me 12ga OFC zip cords are fine, actually my 2-channel setup uses 12ga zip cord), go buy some more after that :D

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Have you tried changing out the DVD player? That seems like a more logical place to start...(sorry if I misread your post).

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
hrtbeat2 said:
I've read the articles above about speaker cables and so on before posting and I'm still somewhat confused. My problem started with my new receiver and speakers, and my DVD player. I get loud pops when my dvd player skips or I jump to a screen and so on. This is my 4th receiver ONKYO 702 that I've returned. The one at the store was doing the same thing untill I messed around with the HZs and that did away with some of the popping. I was blaming it on all the new items I bought (DVD,receiver,speakers). Now all my speaker cables are Monster THX (which I've learned to hate Monster crap! :mad: ) but anyway they all have gold push ins connectors. Today I was using my DVD disc cleaner and it has a purity test on it and what do my ears hear when ZERO noise is to be heard from my speakers Small hums and pops when it went to the next track!! :confused: So I rechecked all my connections and they were fine, and when I played back the track the same thing occured :mad: . Now I have unhooked all the TV cables and the popping was still their not as bad but their. So I'm thinking the noise is coming from the speaker cables?? It's not doing it to my surrounds(side,rear) or center just the Left/Right fronts. So with all this said should I go with a different speaker cable? Whats the best for the $$$? My brother in-law wires for one of the biggest auto-dealers in Tampa/clearwater Florida with this cable which I no is 100% OFC. It has a blue casing around it thats all I know should I get some of that? Thanks for taking your time to read and help me with this problem. Dan

A number of receivers will do this popping you are talking about when signal is lost briefly and acquired again. Some will handle it better than others. If you keep replacing the receiver with the same make and model, you will get the same design. You either keep on looking until you are happy, or put up with the popping. Speaker cables or other cablings are not to blame. Make sure you discs are clean and not scratched badly as they will cause signal loss briefly.

S

sjdgpt

Senior Audioholic
mtrycrafts said:
If you keep replacing the receiver with the same make and model, you will get the same design.
How true. Many brands may use the same design or components, so changing brands does not always solve that issue.

H

hrtbeat2

Audioholic
What I noticed was when move the cable around I loss some music from the speakers? But again only the left/rights did it. My brother in law will be bring some wire over and I'll give that a shot, if not I'll contact samsung on the dvd player. It doesn't pop in analog?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

hrtbeat2 said:
What I noticed was when move the cable around I loss some music from the speakers?
hrtbeat2 said:
Is this a separate issue from the clicks and pops? How much do you seem to loose? Maybe you do have a defective cable, but then you shopuld be loosing all your signal to that side, not just a partial loss.
Maybe you have a speaker problem???

It doesn't pop in analog?

Then when does it pop, exactly?

H

hrtbeat2

Audioholic
First thanks for all the input. Back to a couple things...First These speakers I have now are doing the same noise like my old Infinity did, so I do not believe it's my speakers. The other thing is only when I play Digital sound via coaxial, or optical cable it pop's. But as before in the above post I was getting this humm/static noise from the speakers. Thats why I was thinking the cable? What gauge is Monster cable? And to buy a 10ft of 10-12g would I go to radio shack

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

hrtbeat2 said:
First thanks for all the input. Back to a couple things...First These speakers I have now are doing the same noise like my old Infinity did, so I do not believe it's my speakers. The other thing is only when I play Digital sound via coaxial, or optical cable it pop's. But as before in the above post I was getting this humm/static noise from the speakers. Thats why I was thinking the cable? What gauge is Monster cable? And to buy a 10ft of 10-12g would I go to radio shack

The pop comes from your receiver's processing the digital signal, not quieting it when it looses the signal. Apparently when you use analog from your player, that does th equieting properly so you don't hear it.
I seriously doubt you have a cable problem, but you could have a cold joint, maybe. Temporarily try another interconnect in its place. You can try any interconnect temporailty, especially when a coat hanger works too :)

The hum and static is something else again. If the volume is low and constant, it is the noise from the receiver.

H

hrtbeat2

Audioholic
Ok, the humm/static is level no increase or decreasing. Now my TV is making the same popping noise that my speakers are doing?? I'm watch a HDTV program and it cuts to something else an POP :mad: :mad: :mad: , Whats in GODS name is going on :confused: :eek: :mad: :(

H

hrtbeat2

Audioholic
but you could have a cold joint, maybe. Temporarily try another interconnect in its place. You can try any interconnect temporailty, especially when a coat hanger works too :)

I'm not sure what you mean above in this statement.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

hrtbeat2 said:
but you could have a cold joint, maybe. Temporarily try another interconnect in its place. You can try any interconnect temporailty, especially when a coat hanger works too :)

I'm not sure what you mean above in this statement.

To eliminate the cable at fault, use another interconnect in its place and see if you still get the pops.

With everything popping, not sure what might be the cause. You may have to disconnect everything from th ereceiver and plug back one component at a time and see if there is a marked increase with one component. It is a detective process.

H

hrtbeat2

Audioholic
The PROBLEM DVD PLAYER!!!!! :mad: This morning I hooked up my old dvd player the same way and put in the Last Samurai. It played mine threw opitical cable no popping!!! So i'm going to return the samaung player and if the new one does the same thing, I'm going to demand a full refund!!

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
I win! That was my first inclination. Sorry to hear that though. Hope it all works out for you.

H

hrtbeat2

Audioholic
I called Samsung today and they are sending me a disc to upgrade the audio area? I said since this player is somewhat new why should I need to do this? Because. Because why I said well this is a Level two issue??? I said send me the disc and if it doesn't fix it I want a refund! Also I'm sorry this post started with audio cables and ended with DVD player :p

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

hrtbeat2 said:
Also I'm sorry this post started with audio cables and ended with DVD player :p

You never know where a problem will lead to. Glad that you were able to isolate to something.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis