Problems placing center channel - top of TV too narrow, shelves below too thin

C

cdye

Enthusiast
I haven't purchased a home theater system yet, but I was looking at purchasing something similar to the $5k Audioholic recommended setup. My problem is I'm not sure how I can place the VP 100 Center speaker.

I have an LCD projection TV and the top flat part of the TV is only 2" deep. Then, the "lip" drops another 1/2" and a slightly sloped ledge adds another 5" of depth. The speaker is 7 1/2" deep, so I don't think I could place this on top of the TV. . . so I looked beneath.

The bottom two shelves (non-movable) are only 6" and 7" high, but the speaker is listed as 7 1/2" high.

So. . . option 3 would be to mount the speakers on the wall behind the TV. There does appear to be a stud that is fairly centered. The wall is 28" behind the TV and the TV is in an alcove. The alcove is 8 feet wide, so I'm not sure if the sound quality would be impacted with a center channel mounted on the Axiom wall mount or not.

Am I missing something? Do you all have any advice on how to handle this situation?

D

da5176

Audioholic Intern
Circuit City has an adjustable center channel shelf that fits on top of the TV. It's stabilized by 2 long adjustable feet than hook to the back of the TV, cost about $30. Best buy has them as well.

W

WHALER

Audioholic Intern
My TV has built in 5"' speakers located all along the bottom of the screen. I was able to slide a thin NO WAKE ZONE aluminum sign 18x12" that I had for my boat between the stand and the bottom of the TV. It juts out just enough for the center speaker to sit on, and the weight of the TV keeps everything in balance, and frees up the shelf below. You can hardly tell what the speaker is sitting on. If your speaker is taller, you could have the piece come out and then bend down as many inches as needed and then out to form the shelf. Like a Z but w/o the slant. The top of the Z slides under the TV. LOL Good Luck

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis