Problem with Rcvr or Powered Sub?

T

tracer-mag

Audiophyte
:confused: I have a very basic home theater setup and am having a problem with one or both of the following pieces: Onkyo TX-DS595 5.1 Receiver and JBL 5pc satellite speaker system, with 100 Watt powered Sub, connected to the Onkyo with the low frequency cable. The sub has a power switch on back, an adjustment knob for the sub intesity, a seletors switch for "Auto" or "On" and a green/red LED. I normally have the swithc set to Auto, and it is my understanding that the sub will detect signal from the receiver and turn itself on or off accordingly.

Possibly important facts: I just moved from a new apartment building into a home; the home is about 35 years old. Prior to moving I had no problems with the system.

Problem: I have hooked up the system as it was prior to the move. The sub is routinely making a fast popping sound, almost sounds like a machine gun! It happens when initially turning the power switch on the sub to the on position, regardless of whether the receiver is on or off. I can get the sound to stop by moving the selector swithc on the sub from Auto to On, and when returning the switch to Auto, the sound does not return immediately. But, after about 10 minutes or so it repeats the problem. In the interim, the sub operates normally whether listening to music or watching movies.

I do not know if this is "clipping" or something else. I am concerned that maybe the sub is not getting enouch power or something like that.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

TR

T

tracer-mag

Audiophyte
problem update

ok...i have now determined that the sub does the machine gun popping sound even when not connected to the receiver at all. Someone with knowledge, please help. :confused:

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
This sounds like a problem that plagued JBL's subs a few years ago. Sounds like something in the sub's amp is failing. If it is still under warranty, you should be OK. If not, maybe contact JBL?

T

tracer-mag

Audiophyte
well i dont think it is under warranty since I bought it almost 2 years ago.....thanks for the tip about similar problems with the JBL subs ......i did find one post describing the exact same problem and it was a JBL sub....unfortunately the post did not have a resolution.

Thanks.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
tracer-mag said:
well i dont think it is under warranty since I bought it almost 2 years ago.....thanks for the tip about similar problems with the JBL subs ......i did find one post describing the exact same problem and it was a JBL sub....unfortunately the post did not have a resolution.

Thanks.
It sounds like you may have a short in your subwoofer's plate amp. www.partexpress.com sells plate amps. You won't need a large one - probably something in the $80 range if they have them. Try and find one that fits the opening in your existing box. For $200, you could always pick up a BIC V1220, an Acoustech 12" sub, or for a $220, a 12" Cadence XSUB.
Heck, for $138 plus s/h, you can get this.
http://www.partexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-634&raid=25&rak=behnew

Here's a separate plate amp that may work. It's on sale.
http://www.partexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-802

Attachments

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis