Problem with 4k Content through receiver (Solved)

M

Martijn

Audiophyte
Hi all,

I have the following setup:

Harman Kardon AVR 161S

https://tweakers.net/pricewatch/483067/harman-kardon-avr-161s/specificaties/

LG 49UB820V

https://tweakers.net/pricewatch/408835/lg-49ub820v-zwart/specificaties/

Xbox One X

My devices like my Xbox One X and steamplay and my tv channels box are connected to my receiver via HDMI. My receiver is linked to my tv on HDMI port 1 with ARC and HRDC 2.2. The quality of sound and gaming looks awesome like this.

However, I have a problem with the display of UHD content from the Netflix app or Bluray disc on my tv. I have the Netflix UHD subscription and when I open the Netflix app on my smart tv it shows Ultra HD 4k. But when I open the Netflix app on my Xbox it shows only HD.

When I connect the Xbox One X to my TV and open Netflix it also shows Ultra HD 4k like it should. So I assume the problem is in my receiver. I have checked and my receiver doesn’t have HDCP 2.2 (Should have spotted that when buying my receiver last year, darn).

Is there any way to keep the receiver as my central hub and still use my Xbox One X to watch Netflix and Bluray in Ultra HD quality and keeping my sound quality high?

I don’t feel like using Optical cables for sound because I really like the way my system is set up now with my receiver as a central hub.

Thanks!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Hi all,

I have the following setup:

Harman Kardon AVR 161S

https://tweakers.net/pricewatch/483067/harman-kardon-avr-161s/specificaties/

LG 49UB820V

https://tweakers.net/pricewatch/408835/lg-49ub820v-zwart/specificaties/

Xbox One X

My devices like my Xbox One X and steamplay and my tv channels box are connected to my receiver via HDMI. My receiver is linked to my tv on HDMI port 1 with ARC and HRDC 2.2. The quality of sound and gaming looks awesome like this.

However, I have a problem with the display of UHD content from the Netflix app or Bluray disc on my tv. I have the Netflix UHD subscription and when I open the Netflix app on my smart tv it shows Ultra HD 4k. But when I open the Netflix app on my Xbox it shows only HD.

When I connect the Xbox One X to my TV and open Netflix it also shows Ultra HD 4k like it should. So I assume the problem is in my receiver. I have checked and my receiver doesn’t have HDCP 2.2 (Should have spotted that when buying my receiver last year, darn).

Is there any way to keep the receiver as my central hub and still use my Xbox One X to watch Netflix and Bluray in Ultra HD quality and keeping my sound quality high?

I don’t feel like using Optical cables for sound because I really like the way my system is set up now with my receiver as a central hub.

Thanks!
You can try one of those 4K capable HDMI splitter, otherwise using the optical or coax output from the xbox for sound is an option but you don't seem to want to do that. Depending on your smart TV, the HDMI ARC output may also work but you may or may not get multi channel HD sound.

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Check ARC (Audio Return Channel) in your tv and reciever manuals. If you are able to use that and xbox connected to tv you wont need any extra box.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

M

Martijn

Audiophyte
Yes my tv has an arc hdmi channel (hdmi 2). So i could plug my xbox one x in hdmi 1 (hdcp2.2) and my receiver in hdmi 2?

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Yes my tv has an arc hdmi channel (hdmi 2). So i could plug my xbox one x in hdmi 1 (hdcp2.2) and my receiver in hdmi 2?
Yes and make sure ARC is enabled for both TV and Reciever.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
As I mentioned in post#2, you may or may not get multichannel HD sound such as Dolby TruHD DTS MSTR HD but it is easy and quick to try and find out.

M

Martijn

Audiophyte
I have tried it but I dont get it to work. I tried different hdmi channels on my receiver and non of them will give any sound unfortunatly. So my xbox hdmi cable went in hdmi slot 1 (hdcp 2.2) and the hdmj cable from my receiver went in hdmi slot 2 which has arc. I even tried to change the hdmi cable that goes in the receiver in multiple slots but I still hear nothing. Do you maybe know another way?

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Did you enable ARC on both TV and reciever and use the right «input» for ARC sound on the reciever?

M

Martijn

Audiophyte
On my tv there isnt any mention of arc, i have selected the hdmi sound option. On my receiver also no mention of arc or something.

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Hdmi sound might be the right one, different brands use different terminology.
From the H&K manual:
«The AVR’s HDMI output connection contains an Audio Return Channel (ARC) that carries a digital audio signal from your TV or video display back to the AVR. It allows you to listen to HDMI devices that are connected directly to your TV (such as an Internet connection) without making an additional connection from the device to the AVR. The ARC signal is active when the TV source is selected. See System Settings, on page 34, for more information.»

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Can you select hdmi instead of automatic ?
On the reciever is it auto when tv selected or do you have to select Hdmi/arc in the audio in select for TV source?
HDMI cable supports arc? (It should unless very old kind)

I dont really know your tv or reciever so only basing this on how it should work in theory.

M

Martijn

Audiophyte
No I can not select HDMI, I can only select automatic or PBG

Unfortunatly I cannot change video in or audio in with TV mode selected.

Yes HDMI cables support ARC. The cable between my receiver and tv is an high speed hdmi cable I recently bought for around €30,-

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
A last shot in the dark basically, does the reciever show any signal recieved and is just no sound or does it show something coming in? Tv muted or volume lowest/very low might stop the signal or make it too low? ... dont know but easy to check.
If none of this helps hopefully someone who knows more or another option like the box linked earlier will.

M

Martijn

Audiophyte
No the receiver shows no sign of signal being received. When i test the sound through the system a beep comes through so nothing wrong with the receiver I think. I will see if the splitter will work, thanks for your efforts Leemix!

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Happy to try and help,
reciever is fine i think and splitter will most likly work well so i expect you will enjoy both good picture and sound from all sources soon

N

nazariof

Audiophyte
Hi Martijn, i have the exact same issue, except i use a Projector that supports HDCP 2.2, UHD and 4K but this AVR the 161S is getting in the way, Would you explain your exact solution >:)?
Thanks!.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis