Pro-linear bass cube Frequency response: The Truth

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Hello everyone, welcome to the show.

I was talking to my brother, the owner of the Pro-Linear bass cube, and told him that I wanted to test it's FR. He said it was fine and then left for dinner with his girl friend. I hooked up my computer to the stereo and TV, opened up winisd (signal generator) and was ready to go. I started at 30hz, and this was not loud, there was no clipping, and no longer then maybe 5 seconds. Everything was going smooth, the sub played well to about 25Hz, then started to get really quiet. I stopped at 22hz, as it was now in audible. I tried 18hz (huge mistake) to see if the driver moved, as my sub didn't move that much. I have the volume really low, for everything, as its not mine, and then, snap cracle pop, the voice coil dropped. No more cone movement, just gargling. My heart sank, as I knew what had happened. My brother, a polite man, turned his cell phone off, and was planning on watching a movie this night. As of writing this, I still havent talked to him.

I have the money ready to pay him back, and until he gets a new subwoofer, he has mine. I also thinking of giving him my computer until he gets his, month or so, to try and make right, the things I wronged.

So for everyone wanting to know if it can hit 17hz, no, it can even play the note without breaking. Do not purchase this subwoofer.

comments are welcome, but don't tell me im an idiot, as I already know.

sheep

malvado78

malvado78

Full Audioholic
I recently was using the same program with the subwoofer in the Onkyo HT-770 (HTIB) I even sent a 10 hz signal to the subwoofer and I was able to measure on the ratshack meter. I had no problems with the sub. It wasn't hot I heard no popping nothing. Now I couldn't feel it like I am sure you can with an SVS but the meter said it was there. I do not remember the Db level though. I could do it again in the near future and post it.

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
Sheep said:

I was talking to my brother, the owner of the Pro-Linear bass cube, and told him that I wanted to test it's FR. He said it was fine and then left for dinner with his girl friend. I hooked up my computer to the stereo and TV, opened up winisd (signal generator) and was ready to go. I started at 30hz, and this was not loud, there was no clipping, and no longer then maybe 5 seconds. Everything was going smooth, the sub played well to about 25Hz, then started to get really quiet. I stopped at 22hz, as it was now in audible. I tried 18hz (huge mistake) to see if the driver moved, as my sub didn't move that much. I have the volume really low, for everything, as its not mine, and then, snap cracle pop, the voice coil dropped. No more cone movement, just gargling. My heart sank, as I knew what had happened. My brother, a polite man, turned his cell phone off, and was planning on watching a movie this night. As of writing this, I still havent talked to him.

I have the money ready to pay him back, and until he gets a new subwoofer, he has mine. I also thinking of giving him my computer until he gets his, month or so, to try and make right, the things I wronged.

So for everyone wanting to know if it can hit 17hz, no, it can even play the note without breaking. Do not purchase this subwoofer.

sheep

That sucks for your bro, but it was all in the pursuit of the truth.

C

Cygnus

Senior Audioholic
Why would you want a sub that can go down to 16Hz, when the human ear can only hear down to about 20Hz?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Cygnus said:
Why would you want a sub that can go down to 16Hz, when the human ear can only hear down to about 20Hz?
Because you can FEEL it when it's that low...:D

I have a buddy who's DIY Sonosub is tuned to 17Hz, and when he played a 17.5Hz tone, you don't really hear much, but things in the room start to shake. Fun stuff. There are plenty of movies out there with stuff well below 20Hz.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
yeah, I took out the driver, and the voice coil was not pushing the driver. Everything else was fine, so I conclude that the driver was not made to handle the amp, not to mention go that low.

at 25hz the walls were shaking, but I couldn't hear it. Although I have a bit of hearing damage because of playing in a band at 125db's for practice sessions(used spl meter to find out).

I once sent a 10hz signal to my logitech z2200's and cranked it to almost max, and looked at it for 3 minutes and no damage. Just a crappy driver. I offered to pay my bro back, but he turned down the offer (he makes quiet a bit more money then I do). He still wants that same sub, but I told him he can get better for the same money.

sheep

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Sheep said:

sheep

Very curious, especially since you had it very low level.
Did you try the 30Hz and up for life? ;)

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
driver pics

no, not up from 30hz, its a given that it hits those notes.

Does anyone know a place where I can get a replacement driver, that will show all the specs so I can match it. Maybe I can suprise my brother.
heres the pics of driver and in the box.

sheep

Attachments

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis