Presences vs Surround

D

dmoss

Junior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Could someone please explain to me the difference between presence speakers and surround. &nbsp;I just purchased a Yamaha rx-v2400 I currently have a 5.1 setup with Yamaha 5 NS-AP425A Voice match Speakers and a SW-4 Yamaha Sub. &nbsp;Is a Speaker upgrade in order or will this system be sufficient. &nbsp;I replaced my Yamaha HTR 5150 Reciever because it does not have assignable digital Audio outs or component. &nbsp;It must not have a decoder because I can not get it to play DTS at all. &nbsp;Any how what is the function of a presence speaker. &nbsp;Help</font>

G

GeorgeM

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>I can answer part of your question (or I should probably say that Yamaha can answer it!). &nbsp;Here is a quote from p.11 of the RX-V2400 Manual:

&quot;Presence speakers (PR and PL)

Presence speakers supplement the sound from the front speakers with extra ambient effects produced by CINEMA DSP. &nbsp;These effects include sounds that filmmakers intend to locate a little farther back behind the screen in order to create more theater-like ambience. &nbsp;Place these speakers at the front of the room about 0.5-1m (1-3 feet) outside the front speakers, facing slightly inwards, and about 1.8m (6 feet) above the floor.&quot;

I have not yet set up speakers to use the presence option. &nbsp;Initially I had a 5.1 setup (with a sub) and then went to 7.1. &nbsp;When I added the two speakers for the 7.1 config, I think I detected a slight loss of horsepower in the system so I'm not that anxious to add the presence...

I have not actually listened to a system with presence speakers so I cannot comment on the effects. &nbsp;On the 2400, it works only in DSP modes.

-GeorgeM</font>

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
<font color='#000000'>What is your source for dts? If you have a dvd with dts encoded on it &amp; the player is set to bitstream, just push dts on the remote. If the receiver displays NEO:6, then either your player is not set to bitstream or the disc is not a dts disc.

BTW, you must choose dts in audio options on the disc.</font>

M

Mclectra

Audiophyte
Presence VS Surround

For your info. I have been doing some experimentation with different satellite spkrs. connected to the presence output and I have not really notice any or better sound because of the presence spkrs. It does loses power like you mentioned. I did not follow the placement instructions of 1-3 ft from the mains 6 ft above th floor etc. I do not think that it will make a diff. since I had to practically put my ear to the spkrs. to find out that it is on in that mode. Therefore I prefer Surround at present. Presence to me at this point is just a marketing word or a new word. I have 2 Energy C-7s as fronts and can be the reason why Presence seem to get lost, I rather doubt it

All The Best,

MClectra

plhart

Audioholic
Origin of Yamaha's Presense speakers

Yamaha introduced their stand-alone DSP processor in 1986. For their 100 year anniversary celebration in 1987 Yamaha flew 800 dealers and their wives to the Bahamas for a week of sun and fun and training with some of the new technology. One memorable night they played Top Gun to an audience of over 300 people over a "double DSP" twin-set speaker system. That is, there was a left front speaker and about three feet behind that there was a second "ghost" left front speaker, and so on.

Before the movie the Yamaha engineers futzed with the twin system changing various DSP settings on the rearmost sytem until they got a delay-ambience setting that made the Top Gun soundtrack seem to expand beyond the large room. We all loved what had been done to the sound and so that feature was incorporated into Yamaha receivers shortly thereafter.

When you play the system with only the single main left front speaker (and right front) both the main sound that's on the soundtrack and the electronically added DSP come from one point in space so the effect is not anywhere as exciting as having the effects speaker physically separated by being mounted higher and behind the mains. The effect of the physical separation of the two speakers makes your brain think you're listening in a much larger space.

As far as hooking up yet more speakers to the same power supply and worrying about "loss of power"; your fears may be a bit overblown. Soundtracks never ever require anthing even near full power from the five (or seven) main amplifiers and so the effects speakers will never starve the supply. Yamaha designs substantial power supplies for all of their products.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis