Preamps that decode SACD?

B

boe

Audioholic
Are there any preamps that decode multichannel SACD through the optical connector? The system I was looking at had several RCA type cables connecting the DVD player to the preamp to get 5 channel surround SACD.

Thanks

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Nope. SACD can only be passed via 6 analog cables, Firewire, or proprietary solutions like Denon Link.

K

keenan

Junior Audioholic
Anonymous said:
Nope. SACD can only be passed via 6 analog cables, Firewire, or proprietary solutions like Denon Link.
6 analog cables--yes
IEEE1394(firewire)--yes
Denon Link--no

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
keenan said:
6 analog cables--yes
IEEE1394(firewire)--yes
Denon Link--no
Didn't Denon just get approval for sacd over Denon link - at least for the upcoming sacd 2.0 specification? I know the press release said it still won't work for the current 1.3 spec.

K

keenan

Junior Audioholic
Anonymous said:
Didn't Denon just get approval for sacd over Denon link - at least for the upcoming sacd 2.0 specification? I know the press release said it still won't work for the current 1.3 spec.
Correct, for the SACD 2.0 spec only. Nothing has changed as far as SACD 1.3 and Denon Link.

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

Ultimately it's not really that big an issue, unless your player has really crappy DACs or bad/incomplete bass managment. I realize the AH staff has mentioned that the reciever/prepro often has better DACs, but the DACs of many of the players are at least as good. To the point, at least, where you'd have a helluva time trying to A/B a diff.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis