Pre-outs on AV Recievers

A

aiwa2child

Audiophyte
Hello I am currently selecting AV equipment for a home theater I am designing. I am wondering about pre-outs on my AV receiver. I have Marantz SR7015 and a 7.2.4 theater setup. I am using an Emotiva BasX A3 powered amplifier for my LCR speakers. My question is this:

The receiver is rated for 125w with 2 channels driven. When you use the pre-outs for the front Left,Right and Center speaker how does that affect the overall wattage output to each speaker? Or does it? I am guessing that if I was to not use an external amplifier for the front three and run a 7.2.2 atmos setup each speaker would see about 70 watts. If three of those speakers are powered from an external amplifier will the theoretical wattage of 70+70+70 (LCR) be redistributed to the other speakers?

Thank you

Brad

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
IMO, if you were running all channels simultaneously, you might get a drop in actual peak power. Offloading work from the AVRs amps to external just "frees up" the power supply to properly deliver their rated power; aka headroom. So, you won't increase the power of the remaining channels effectively beyond their rating. The benefit is that the speakers on the external amp don't share the same power supply as the other channels. Surrounds use a lot less power, generally speaking, due to slightly less activity than the front 3.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Hello I am currently selecting AV equipment for a home theater I am designing. I am wondering about pre-outs on my AV receiver. I have Marantz SR7015 and a 7.2.4 theater setup. I am using an Emotiva BasX A3 powered amplifier for my LCR speakers. My question is this:

The receiver is rated for 125w with 2 channels driven. When you use the pre-outs for the front Left,Right and Center speaker how does that affect the overall wattage output to each speaker? Or does it? I am guessing that if I was to not use an external amplifier for the front three and run a 7.2.2 atmos setup each speaker would see about 70 watts. If three of those speakers are powered from an external amplifier will the theoretical wattage of 70+70+70 (LCR) be redistributed to the other speakers?

Thank you

Brad
It does not work like that at all because music signal is not constant and for 7.1.4 movies, each of the 11 channels will have different contents most of the time. It will be rare (could happen in theory, but rare in reality..) for all of the channels, or even a few of them to have the same power requirements at the same time. The only way to have all channels working almost (still not exactly) equally hard is if you use the multichannel stereo mode. In that case it will be so loud that I think you would turn the volume down a few notches unless you are having a party and want to have loud sound everywhere in the room.

Each speaker will draw the power or more accurately, current, according to the media contents and the volume setting. For example, let's say your front left channel is rated for 200 W average and 500 W peak, it may only draw 0.5 W or less on average most of the time and peaks to may be 50 W for a split second to a few seconds, if your volume is at say -30 and you are getting loud enough sound pressure level from 10 ft using speakers with average sensitivity of 87 to 90 dB.

A lot of people would likely not have spent money on amps like he BasX if they first find out how much power do their speakers actually need. However, some people will use external amps regardless, for reasons other than sound quality, or loudness.

At Audioholics, members have posted links to several online calculators numerous time for good reasons.

The most popular one appears to be the hometheaterengineering.com one:

Peak SPL Calculator (hometheaterengineering.com)

Pandaman617

Pandaman617

Senior Audioholic
I use the same amplifier in a 5.4.4 setup and have 4ohm speakers all around. I’ve ran all 9 off my x4300h and did have to bump the volume up a few more levels during movies but it never went into protection mode nor did it seem like they were underpowered by any means. Once I added the A3 it’s certainly easier for my setup to output the elevated volume levels I enjoy during movie watching and gaming due to the additional headroom as mentioned by Garcia.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis