Pre-amp separate vs Receiver pre-outs

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
Could you explain, “oppo converts the latest surround sound notions to rca which can be processed by my 20 year old”...?
Curious is all, seems my little brain is struggling this morning.
My multi-channel preamp is analog, thus my OPPO is used to decode movies sourced from computer via HDMI connection, and it of course decodes disc based movies, with audio output via RCA to preamp.

Last edited:

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Improved SQ...I had this debate and demos with a local hifi dealer, and per him there are some internal part differences from a Marantz Prepro and Marantz AVR of similar prices. I would say in a blind A/B test most people would not hear any difference in a comparably priced pre/pro and AVR. Mine wasn't a blind test, I could not tell which one was playing...but I bought the Pre/pro anyway :) .

In a half-hearted attempt to build a 5.1 system several years ago I had a bargain basement Onkyo AVR...I will say, my new separates did sound better. Fuller, more bass, but we're talking about a $300 AVR and a $3500 separates pre/pro+amps

I only have one system, and don't intend to build another. I have a pre/pro and 3 mono blocks manning the front 3 channels and multi channel amps handling the surrounds. I prefer the heat generating amps with their own power supplies to be in a separate casing from the control electronics...the system will run cooler especially under hard usage in most cases which could extend the shelf life.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Improved SQ...I had this debate and demos with a local hifi dealer, and per him there are some internal part differences from a Marantz Prepro and Marantz AVR of similar prices. I would say in a blind A/B test most people would not hear any difference in a comparably priced pre/pro and AVR. Mine wasn't a blind test, I could not tell which one was playing...but I bought the Pre/pro anyway :) .

In a half-hearted attempt to build a 5.1 system several years ago I had a bargain basement Onkyo AVR...I will say, my new separates did sound better. Fuller, more bass, but we're talking about a $300 AVR and a $3500 separates pre/pro+amps

I only have one system, and don't intend to build another. I have a pre/pro and 3 mono blocks manning the front 3 channels and multi channel amps handling the surrounds. I prefer the heat generating amps with their own power supplies to be in a separate casing from the control electronics...the system will run cooler especially under hard usage in most cases which could extend the shelf life.
Your dealer may be right in a general sense only about "some internal part difference". In terms of specifics, if you compare the AV7704 and SR7012, and if you use RCA connectors, then there should not be any parts difference. I picked those two because I have compared their relevant schematic diagrams.

At higher output voltage, say near 2V rms/4V peak, the AVC output may be cleaner, though I highly doubt the difference would be large enough to result in audible differences.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis