Powered Subwoofer Dilemma

LightningMike

LightningMike

Enthusiast
Maybe I'm exaggerating and its not a dilemma, but here's the scoop. I have a Yamaha HTR-5063 AVR and it has the YPAO system in it with the microphone and 25' cord. My Speakers are as follows: Front - L/R Polk Monitor60 II Towers, Center - PolkAudio CS1B II, Surrounds - Klipsch S10, Sub - Velodyne Equa-Max 8" Side-firing Powered Sub. The Velodyne comes with its own microphone, 25' cord, and sound analyzing system, accessible with the Velodyne remote.

The five (5) speakers are all set to "SMALL" in the Yamaha Setup, but I'm a little baffled about the Sub bc it does have its own internal program. Do I set the sub to "NONE" or what, and what frequency. I have the other speakers all set to 80 MHz. Sure... I can run the Velodyne routine, and mute the Yamaha, but how is the sub analyzing the sounds being emitted by the other five speakers? The Velodyne is connected with a MediaBridge SUB cable to the Yamaha's LFE jack. I'm a relative novice when it comes to using the Yamaha's YPAO so maybe somebody can advise me on the correct procedure.

The room is roughly 20' X 14' and is carpeted. The walls are 1/2" solid tongue and groove walnut planking, the and the ceiling is sheetrock.

Thanks in advance for any/all advice.

Regards...

Mike

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I don't have experience with YPAO, but I think it is safe to advise you to:
1) run the sub's internal program.
2) run YPAO with the sub in the mix.
This way, you sub will simply have better performance (due to its own EQ) before providing EQ via YPAO for the overall system.

However, you might pull a copy of the manual for you sub and see. Velodyne should anticipate plenty of people will be using AVR's with auto - EQ systems.

LightningMike

LightningMike

Enthusiast
Thanks Kurt...

Going to DL the manual today and see if I can make heads or tails of the issue. One thing I have heard is that on some powered subs, you can use a splitter cable on the Sub end and plug one end into the LFE-IN jack and the other end into the Left-IN jack for some improvement... although I'm getting nice bass right now. I just wanted to figure out the correct procedure for EQ.

I probably should find a CD that is somewhat bass heavy to give this a test, but I'll have to wait until the wife goes out LOL.

Mike

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis