powered sub crossover settings

D

diggytooth8

Audiophyte
Hello all.
My powered klipsch subwoofer has a range from 29 hz-120hz. I have it hooked up so it is activated all the time, not dedicated LFE. My klipsch RF 62mains are set at large. They are 38Hz-23kHz. Is the idea to set the sub crossover at say 30-60 hz, then set the eq to the mains at say 70hz? Is the idea to have the mains eq'ed so the pick up where the sub leaves off?
Thanks.

O

oppman99

Senior Audioholic
If your mains are set to large, they will be getting the full range signal. There is definately personal preference involved. If it sounds good to your ears running the Klipsch full range then by all means go for it. From my limited understanding, the ideal situation is to have as smooth a crossover between the mains and sub as possilbe. In other words the sub picks up where the speakers leave off. You will always have some overlap between where the upper frequencies of the sub and lower frequencies of the speakers roll off. Room interaction will play a part also depending on whether you have peaks or nulls at the listening position. I would experiment a little bit. Keep your mains full range and play around with the sub crossover. I'd probably start around 70 Hz and experiment to see what sounds good in your room. I'd also try running the mains as small and trying the same thing just to see what you like better. If it helps, I run my Paradigm S8's set to small and crossed over at 50 Hz. That's the way they sound best to me, but it isn't necessarily the "right" or "wrong" way to do it.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Technically, you want NO overlap. The crossover handles the overlap portion via the slope of the crossover, so you want them crossed at the same point, which is exactly the same thing that your receiver does when using its internal crossover. The benefit of letting the receiver do this is that you don't have to "figure out" what it should be set at, and ideally you can't set this properly manually - it needs to be done with the use of a SPL meter. If you want them set to large for music, there are options for "pure direct" or "source direct" that do this for you, without sub usually and with sub on some receivers.

As mentioned, with your mains set large, you don't have the ability to use a crossover point unless you are using an external crossover. This setting only applies to whatever speakers you have set to small.

EQ and X-over are not the same thing.

D

diggytooth8

Audiophyte
diggy

Thanks for the advice.
I will try setting the speakers to small. I will then try settign the sub xover to 60hz. As far as my mains under the eq section under bass I guess It would make sense to choose 60-70- hz as the option. I guess that is what is meant by setting the main cross over on my main speakers?
Thanks again.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis