Power recliner with USB port

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I ordered a power rocker recliner. They said it'll be mid-August when it arrives. I selected the fabric so they have to make it. Anyways, I will be getting a rechargeable battery pack for it. But it also has a USB port, which is nice, but it would be a constant drain, so that's not a good scenario for a battery pack. I was thinking I'd put a switch in the line somewhere. Switch it it on whenever I might want to charge my phone. Am I correct that this would put the kibash on power drain? Seems to me, yes. Does it matter which wire going to the port where I put in the switch? The port is on the plate with the recliner buttons. I could post a photo of the back of that plate when I take delivery if you cannot tell me yet. I just hope there is room on the plate for a very small toggle switch.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Why should an unused USB port draw power? Is just leave it accessible in case I want to use it.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Why should an unused USB port draw power? Is just leave it accessible in case I want to use it.
I believe it would draw power from the battery pack even if not in use. Maybe there is a 5v power supply has a plug that is easily accessible. (I think a usb is 5v anyway!)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
It won’t drain as long as nothing is connected to it. I would convert it to be plugged into a wall making it active all the time.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
I believe it would draw power from the battery pack even if not in use. Maybe there is a 5v power supply has a plug that is easily accessible. (I think a usb is 5v anyway!)
That would be a negligible power draw, if any, and the power draw will be from the internal circuitry of the power bank which you probably can’t disable.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
It won’t drain as long as nothing is connected to it. I would convert it to be plugged into a wall making it active all the time.
It does have a wall plug. But I will be ordering a rechargeable battery pack. If it was in the wall, then yeah. I'd leave it. But any usb port anywhere has constant power on.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Some of these battery packs advertise 30 days to re-charge, but I have been watching youtubes that say they go much less usually. So I would try to extend that if possible.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
It does have a wall plug. But I will be ordering a rechargeable battery pack. If it was in the wall, then yeah. I'd leave it. But any usb port anywhere has constant power on.
Curious why this route?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Why not just plug it in, is that your question? Because there is no convenient plug and I, of course would not have a cord going across the floor.
That’s fair. I was just wondering
Not knowing the construction of your home, I would think of something slightly more elegant. Like tucking wires under trim, or adding a receptacle etc.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
That’s fair. I was just wondering
Not knowing the construction of your home, I would think of something slightly more elegant. Like tucking wires under trim, or adding a receptacle etc.
The primo spot is not near a wall. I am not willing to cut a hole in the floor to add a receptacle. I was in the market for a manual recliner, but they are getting too scarce these days. If you find one, it may be too small or just doesn't suit you. There are many to choose from that are powered though.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Thank God I have a good 'ole Lazy Boy manual recliner ;)

who da thunk there would come a day when we have to worry about USB ports in a recliner ? Archie Bunker is rolling in his grave ............

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis