Power amp to replace integrated for mixed music/HT with 4ohm Audio Physic front stage.

D

dvon1981

Audioholic Intern
My current systems front stage is a pair of Audio Physic Classic 30s and Classic center which are 4ohm. My surroubds are KEF q150s. My system is biased a bit more to music than HT.

The system was originally music only and I had a Rega Elicit R powering the mains. Now I have a Marantz 6013 running everything using HT bypass of the Rega to power the mains but that means the 4ohm load of the center is going to the Marantz still while the surrounds are 8ohm.

I’m thinking of replacing the Rega with either a 3 channel or some mono blocks like the Outlaw 2220s. Anything else I should be considering?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
3 Outlaw M2220 is a good option, alternatives could be the following:

Monolith 200WX3
Anthem MCA325,
AT523NC

All are real power amps that can potentially do a better job with the Classic 30 than the Rega integrated amp that is not more powerful than the Marantz AVR in a meaningful way.

D

dvon1981

Audioholic Intern
3 Outlaw M2220 is a good option, alternatives could be the following:

Monolith 200WX3
Anthem MCA325,
AT523NC

All are real power amps that can potentially do a better job with the Classic 30 than the Rega integrated amp that is not more powerful than the Marantz AVR in a meaningful way.
I'm not doubting this per se and I see you answer a lot of questions here so I know you know your stuff. What it it that will make a power amp outperform the Rega so notably though? I'm still learning and like the detail behind things. Thanks for your response btw.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm not doubting this per se and I see you answer a lot of questions here so I know you know your stuff. What it it that will make a power amp outperform the Rega so notably though? I'm still learning and like the detail behind things. Thanks for your response btw.
I would never say "notably", as 1) Your Rega amp has good specs, 2) it is 4 ohm rated, just not very powerful and 3) you need 2X the power to gain only 3 dB so 160 W vs 300 W can be considered significant, but not really a lot.

The power amps listed can all do at least 300 W into 4 Ohms and that would match well with your speakers based on the recommended 25-180 W. So in terms of power output, the Rega is obviously powerful enough for you based your seating distance and listening habits. Those power amps will just give you some extra reserve that even if not put to use, would allow the amps to relax a little more doing their job.

I have not seen the impedance/phase angle curves of the Classic 30, but if they have low impedance dips, say below 3 Ohms, and especially if it coincidence with some high phase angles, then it is possible that the power amps could in fact give you some noticeable difference/improvements. That's just if.....

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Amps from Outlaw, Monolith, ATI, Parasound, Rotel, Anthem will all work great.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
It depends on what you mean by "outperform". At higher volumes more power will offer more stability and headroom, but at "normal" listening volumes I wouldn't expect much, if any difference at all.

That said, I have a Monolith 7 and more power than I need for most situations, but it's nice knowing I have plenty on reserve for the occasions I like to really crank it up from time to time. For 3 channel applications I'd probably be looking at the Outlaw 2220s Peng suggested. Great amps, great bang for buck.

D

dvon1981

Audioholic Intern
Thanks, you’re right, I’m effectively doubling the available power vs the Rega

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks, you’re right, I’m effectively doubling the available power vs the Rega
Which equates to a 3 dB gain in headroom. When looking to upgrade power that's what I'd recommend, at least double what you have now. Any less isn't really much of a gain. Here's a nifty spl calculator that does a pretty good job of illustrating the relation between power and volume. It's not going to be accurate for all speakers (for 8 ohm speakers only), but gives you a good idea about how more power affects performance.

D

dvon1981

Audioholic Intern
Which equates to a 3 dB gain in headroom. When looking to upgrade power that's what I'd recommend, at least double what you have now. Any less isn't really much of a gain. Here's a nifty spl calculator that does a pretty good job of illustrating the relation between power and volume. It's not going to be accurate for all speakers (for 8 ohm speakers only), but gives you a good idea about how more power affects performance.

Thanks, I think it’s worth me giving it a try. Worst case I eat $80 in shipping costs, feels worth the risk.

D

dvon1981

Audioholic Intern
Thanks all for the feedback, I ordered a pair of 2220s to try on my mains, if they sound as good or better than my Rega I'll order a third for my center channel and sell the Rega.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks all for the feedback, I ordered a pair of 2220s to try on my mains, if they sound as good or better than my Rega I'll order a third for my center channel and sell the Rega.
Thank you very much for the feedback. Wish more people do that more often. Before you conclude if they "sound as good or better...."., please take the time to set up a real apples to apples test, it's not easy but you tried your best and plan ahead you may be able to get it close enough, then the other hurdle is, how to do the comparison without knowing which one you are listening to.

Regardless, even if it is not done in DBT, if it is a close to apples to apples, such as level matched to within 0.5 dB, using the exact same media contents, and everything else, cabling, distance, mlp, analog input, direct mode etc., there will at least be no night and day difference.:D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis