Power Amp Recommendations

M

mitch57

Audioholic
I am looking for a multi-channel power amp that has a minimum of 200 watts per channel. 5 or 7 channel will surfice. I could even get by with a 3 channel amp as my Denon 3805 will be my pre/pro amp.

I am currently considering the Adcom, Sherbourn, and Parasound line. I have also considered the Anthem line as well. My budget is $2500.00 - $3000.00. I do have one concern as far as space goes. It will be installed in an existing home entertainment center and my shelves are only 15" deep. Width is not a problem. The shelves are open in the back so the amp can be longer then 15" but the feet can't protrude past 15".

What do you guys recommend for power amps? I am kinda of narrowing it down to the Sherbourn or the Adcom. Are there better choices out there?

Thanks in advance.

W

warnerwh

Full Audioholic
You may want to add Rotel to your list as they provide good value also. I'm very pleased with my Parasound. Any of those you list though should serve you well. I'd definitely be looking up their dimensions as you could have a problem with such a short depth in your rack. Good Luck

JoeE SP9

JoeE SP9

Senior Audioholic
Many of my friends use Adcom power amps. I have recommended them to people for quite some time. They are extremely reliable. No one that I know has ever had a problem with any Adcom power amp. They are a very good buy on the used market. About $200 for a 100wpc amp and $300 to $400 for the 200 and 300wpc amps. :cool:

Mudcat

Mudcat

Senior Audioholic
Have you thought of pro amps? They are mostly only two channel, so you will need at least three. But they are bridgeable, some have AB topology though most are class D. Most have spec equal to or better than home audio amps. And most importantly, they are inexpensive. I have six Alesis amps in my rack. these have high SN ratio (105 dB), low THD (0.005%), damping factor of 200, yada, yada,yada. And no noisy cooling fans.

http://www.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2380

Last edited:
Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
ATI amps (Website) are another good value: solid engineering, conservative ratings, built like a brick house. The cranky techies at The Audio Critic mag like them, as does Siegfried Linkwitz who recommends them to drive his flagship tri-amped DIY system, the Orion.

Mudcat's pro amp suggestion is a good one, too. On a dollar/watt basis they can be hard to beat. One thing to watch out for with some pro gear is noisy cooling fans, tho.

U

Unregistered

recommended amp

you could look at the anthem line also nice amps,brytson (pricey but killer)rotel, etc there are many to choose from just depends on your budget.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis