Power Amp Configuration help

uicjeff

uicjeff

Audiophyte
I started my room with a AV Receiver. Now I'm looking to upgrade my sound by adding separate power amplification. My 1st row seats are 12.5 feet from the front speakers, with row two of seats 18 feet away.

I was looking at the Emotiva XPA-11 gen 3 but I'm not keen on only the 3 high powered channels?

I'm considering the Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3 instead for all my ear level speakers and 2 - BasX A-300s for the height channels
Or I could just leave the Denon to power only the height speakers?

Looking to stay under 3K for the upgrade so Rotel and Anthem are out of the question for this upgrade, I think.

Thoughts/Suggestions?

Room Specs
I have a fairly large Media room (17x25). My current system is a 7.2.4 setup Driven by a Denon 4400H & Klipsch RP speakers, RP280Fs (FL/FR), RP440C(C), RP250s (SL/SR), 2-R10SWs (Subs L/R), RP600Ms(SbL/SbR) and 4-SVS primes (Ceiling mounted) for (TFL/TFR) & (RTL/RTR) Russound P75 2-Channel amp for TFL/TFR since the Devon has Amplification for 9 channels but can process 11 channels. Projector: Sony VPL-VW285es with a Screen Innovations Black diamond 120"

Last edited:
WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
Save your money. Klipsch speakers don’t take much power to drive. You could drive them to ear-bleeding levels with half the power your Denon puts out.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd upgrade the subs/speakers before adding a power amp, doubt the power amp will do a lot for you. Your mains are Klipsch RP240....is that the on-wall 240D?

ps You can add various amps to various channels as you see fit, leaving the avr to power channels as you see fit....

uicjeff

uicjeff

Audiophyte
Thanks. Speakers are next on my list. I figured I would move to seperates first.

Typo on my system the mains are RP-280Fs.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks. Speakers are next on my list. I figured I would move to seperates first.

I'd do the opposite and concentrate on speakers (and more the subs in your case) rather than electronics as that's where real changes lay.....but just what is the goal overall?

Last edited:
uicjeff

uicjeff

Audiophyte
Thanks again!

Sound improvement it's the overall goal. I use the room quite a bit for for movies and music.
Tidal for Dolby Atmos music, and I have a decent size SACD collection.

While the sound is good. I think it has quite a bit headroom to improve.

Sounds like I need to rethink my approach?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

Speakers and subs should be first if you want to upgrade your sound. Adding additional amplification won't change anything unless you're reaching limits now.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks again!

Sound improvement it's the overall goal. I use the room quite a bit for for movies and music.

Yes. Rethink your approach and start researching speakers and subs. In your case subs first. So many people dismiss what truly good, clean bass can do for a system. It's not about enough bass, it's about clean effortless bass. Lower quality or undersized and underpowered subs have a way sneaking distortion into your sound that you don't notice until it's gone. My experience was a huge eye opener. My main speakers even sounded cleaner, and I'm a music first guy.

There are so many misconceptions out there, and more power or separate amplification automatically = better sound is one of them. Speakers, speakers, speakers (and by extension subs) are what will have the most impact on your sound quality. We speak from experience as quite a few of us do have separate amps, but we get speakers and subs sorted first. General rule of thumb is the bulk of the budget should go into speakers and subs.

That thread sticks out in my mind because the op was in pm's with me too and did not want to take advice. Needless to say it was one of the quicker turnarounds on returning a nice separate amp when he discovered it didn't impact his sound quality at all.

"Long story short...my RTi A7's were a disappointment and prompted work. After a frustrating few days I ordered a Parasound 2350 amp, against all advice I received from the esteemed members here, and promptly returned it with a loss of abt $60 for the trial. Needless to say...listen to those who know."

"The Parasound was what I bought trying to get these speakers to produce...didn't help...as advised here."

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks again!

What do you mean by headroom?

uicjeff

uicjeff

Audiophyte
lovinthehd - By Headroom, I mean that I know my current system was a starter setup and a lot of room to improve.

Pogre - Thanks for the advice, I'll heed it, put the purchase on hold and reevaluate. I typically have a budget of 3-5K twice a year to upgrade the space.

When I first started out I simply went to Best Buy Magnolia and put together a Klipsch System, Figuring all the speakers timbre matched would be best, and that I was investing in top of the line...

I wasn't sure how much I or the family would use the space/system. The room is used several times a day almost everyday.

Sounds like I should start with researching subs. Glad I ran across the youtube channel and then the forum before I purchased more.

Thanks again!
Jeff

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Okay, headroom as a term has a meaning for audio, if not a couple, but yours isn't quite it :) Yours would be simply room for improvement or upgraditis etc.

Some would use the term headroom in determining how much more amp power beyond a certain nominal level to allow for peaks and still avoid clipping the amp. The THX standard you can calibrate your avr to is along those lines, at reference level ("0" using the reference volume scale), it allows for an approximate average level of 85dB and for 20dB peaks (plus 10dB higher for LFE channel). Whether with your speakers in your room at the distances you are from them along with their sensitivity would determine that....or if you would even find that a comfortable level and don't need to plan for that much power. Some speakers won't even do well that loud.

You can use an spl calculator to approximate with your speakers what those needs are....and with Klipsch speakers you might shave 4-5 dB off their rating as they state it a bit differently than many. Try this one http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html to get an idea what kind of power you're using now for example.

If you want different sound qualities from the speakers then you might try changing speakers or in your case to me your subs are more in need of improvement. Your room is a big influence so before changing things out maximize placement and room treatment, those can affect sound quality quite a bit. Electronics not so much for SQ improvements unless you're looking for specific dsp/room eq type differences. You have a decent avr and has the option via pre-outs to be flexible with external amps....I've gone that route back and forth a few times and at my current listening levels my avrs alone are just fine (similar to yours, a 4520), but am trying to be nicer to my ears these days than I used to.

Altho recently I had some power amps laying around doing nothing, and either was I, so hooked 'em back up in the big room, then even tried a different pair after a transformer in the first pair started getting noisy....nah, still no difference (well, before the transformer noise) other than more meters/lights moving around :).

Sometimes ya just gotta scratch the amp itch. Many of us have. Just plan upgrades out and make 'em count as much as possible for your $.

Oh and subs need not match "timbre" as that's not really a thing....but sometimes those shiny copper cones are all some want to match....

uicjeff

uicjeff

Audiophyte
LOL Upgraditis is the best term for it!

Thanks for all the advice. Will do some searches and plan out the summer upgrade path.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis