Post Your Best Budget Speaker Finds Here

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
So, you are now a Polkey?
Hey Z! Not really, but for 10 bucks thrift they are not bad. I’m surprised they sound decent and non fatiguing. First Polk I’ve ever heard too. My DCM Love is the bomb. :)

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Hey Z! Not really, but for 10 bucks thrift they are not bad. I’m surprised they sound decent and non fatiguing. First Polk I’ve ever heard too. My DCM Love is the bomb. :)
10 dollars is a really good deal

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
Good question. Please read the Polk forums for more in depth information, plenty of Threads there about that.
There’s no such thing as “powering with an 8 ohm load”.

That thread you linked suggested amp clipping which has nothing to do with whether an amp can power a 4 ohm load or not.

Note that an amp powering a 4 ohm load (the speaker) is not an amp that is powering with an 8 ohm load. There is no load on or coming from an amplifier.

The only load present in a system is the crossover and drivers.

vader540is

vader540is

Full Audioholic
I stand corrected. Thanks for clearing that up.

Anywho the previous owner was using a cheap $100 AVR to Power the LSi15 to near reference levels ( clipping) I would imagine that is why the resistor burnt up.

Edit IIRC polk had the resistor wattage (5 watt) is spec'd too low. I replaced both of mine with a mills 12 Watt.

Pandaman617

Pandaman617

Senior Audioholic
Pair of mint condition Mirage OM-10’s that still had the factory rubber plugs in the binding posts for $100 and a 3 hour round trip and a pair of Klipsch RF3’s, an SC1 center channel and a pair of Kimber 8TC cables for $25. Sold the RF3 towers for $200, sold the Kimber cables on eBay for $150. Also managed to buy a pair of Mirage OM-200’s both in mint condition for $150 from the same guy I got the OM-10’s from.

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
I stand corrected. Thanks for clearing that up.

Anywho the previous owner was using a cheap $100 AVR to Power the LSi15 to near reference levels ( clipping) I would imagine that is why the resistor burnt up.

Edit IIRC polk had the resistor wattage (5 watt) is spec'd too low. I replaced both of mine with a mills 12 Watt.
Yeah that makes a lot more sense.

Glad you enjoy them!

Crossover work is always a bunch of fun IMO.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Good question. Please read the Polk forums for more in depth information, plenty of Threads there about that.
Speaking of Polk forum, No sooner I posted up my thoughts of those RTi-a5's here on AH to @afterlife2 @vader540is I got hit up with a Email from Polkey Audio wanting a Survey of if I would recommend Polk Audio Speakers. Of course it was immediately trashed and website was blocked. #1. Polk Speakers, a dollar to dollar Value brand, BBS brand. Are there better in the Market? Most definitely, are Polk Audio Speakers a good Value at FRP? Big No. Would Polk Audio be my 1st choice for L/R main for music only again a "Big No". Nothing that Polk Audio has on the Market Now expect for maybe their new line flagships only because haven't Listen to them in person. Any of Polk Audio speakers that I have owned in the past and present couldn't hold a candle to "RBH Elite Towers" that Includes Polk Audio LSi-15 and LSi-25 flagship line. I have owned 15's heard the 25's. Polks LSi-15's are good but Not at FRP. Would I recommend Polk Audio big No again much better out their for your money. What Polk RTi-line, lacks "inner detail" plus throw in some what "Hot topend" what you get is a Value speaker. Now throw in that Polk Audio isn't owned by Matthew Polk and CS isn't what it use to be plus Polk Audio is just a "Badge" for some offshore company No I wouldn't recommend any speaker carrying the Polk "Badge". #2: Now you gotta few bucks you want something to throw in a setup to get by like the dude who picked up those old LSi-15's with the blown topend and no telling what else, sure jump on them. Even if I could pickup a New pair of Polk Audio LSi-15's today I wouldn't, even at the going away price of the Polks LSiMs are going for now I still wouldn't. Much better to be had even at throw aways street price.

Best on a "Budget" Find. RBH Impression Elite Tower's. with matching Center speaker. $1600.00 shipped free No Tax!
Highly Recommended! If you can still find these.

C0BFC921-56C0-45D5-8042-749705193304.jpeg
0AEA983C-FAF2-48D5-BEF8-D74A12764FB5.jpeg

Last edited:
afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Are those Infinity Primus 162s? I have a pair of 163s in storage and they are decent bookshelf speakers for the $$
Yep I had them 162 and thought they sounded veil, so I sold them. I was more interested in the bigger ones, but didn’t get the model number since I don’t need more speakers. ;) I’m sure someone here knows them.

Pandaman617

Pandaman617

Senior Audioholic
Just snagged a pair of Mirage Omni 350 towers with the original box, port plugs and stands along with a Mirage S12 subwoofer sitting brand new in the very dusty but unopened box for $200. Selling the Omni 350's for $300 and keeping the S12. I've now got a pair of SVS PB1000's with a Mirage OM-200 and the S12 which has finally resulted in decent low end response throughout my entire room.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I got a pair of 30" Electrovoice W30 woofers for $80. The cabinets wouldn't fit through the doors of my house and the rooms were too small, so I had to sell them.

That's the reason I don't use a subwoofer- it would be impossible to replicate the sound with anything I have heard since that time.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Latest stuff I saw at the thrift store. I had to get one of them. Guess. :p
A2586751-3BEA-4D1A-A437-1D4C6F9A0A84.jpeg
63673456-DD1E-47A8-94B4-3361565ECC1D.jpeg
EF273A4F-5CFE-4B16-BD61-5CA836594F6A.jpeg
4785CBAF-6013-40E5-83DA-876B55BF5F0F.jpeg

DDAA0780-FC2D-423E-8FC9-3A00DA525723.jpeg
2512DEF1-1A5F-4506-93DD-A8844B0F8415.jpeg
194B32AD-1A66-4F7D-B949-A5249FA1D5B3.jpeg

Latest posts