Possibly Ghetto-Fabulous, but...

J

jdallen23

Enthusiast
...This is a serious question.

I have a set of Boston Acoustic Pro 6.5 car audio component speakers that are collecting dust since I now have a leased company car and I am not able to make modifications to it of any kind. So, my thoughts are, why waste a decent pair of speakers. My thoughts were to build an enclosure for the set and run them in my home office as a nice set to listen to while I work.

I emailed Boston about my plans to build an enclosure and the contacted me back stating that 0.3 cuft is the minimum required sealed enclosure with a rolloff at 60hz. I am planning on playing around with the size and probably building it a bit larger to depen the response of the driver up a tad, possibly to .5 cuft.

I would even think about building a ported enclosure as it would be more efficient using a ported enclosure but I have no idea where to start to come up with the correct airspace and port sizes.

What do you all think? :D

~edit: I am not concerned about the 3 ohm load either as my amplifier should handle it just fine, and I am actually thinking about getting a Sonic Impact 5066 and running them with that in the future.

Last edited:
T

Tex-amp

Senior Audioholic
jdallen23 ~edit: I am not concerned about the 3 ohm load either as my amplifier should handle it just fine said:
I don't think the Sonic Impact is going to drive 3ohm speakers. Only about 5 of it's 15 watts are useable before it distorts badly.

J

jdallen23

Enthusiast
Tex-amp said:
I don't think the Sonic Impact is going to drive 3ohm speakers. Only about 5 of it's 15 watts are useable before it distorts badly.

???

The speakers have a 90db 1w/1m rating, and I will be listening to them in my home office,..while I work. I don't think that the SI will have a problem driving them. Granted something with a 95/98 1w/1m rating would be better suited for a higher volume lvl from the small amp, but I am not going for earbleeding SPL here.

It is the efficiency of the driver and the environment that they will be played in that would determine weather or not a 5 watt amplifier will drive them, correct? This is a small home office, probably 12'x14' with the speakers being positioned just in front of the desk.

T

Tex-amp

Senior Audioholic
I was reading up on the Sonic Impact and it claims it can drive 4ohm speakers so you may be okay. As I understand it the lower the ohms the bigger the load to drive. I can drive my 8 ohm 92dB Ascend Acoustics 340s quite loud with my Sonic Impact.

J

jdallen23

Enthusiast
Tex-amp said:
I was reading up on the Sonic Impact and it claims it can drive 4ohm speakers so you may be okay. As I understand it the lower the ohms the bigger the load to drive. I can drive my 8 ohm 92dB Ascend Acoustics 340s quite loud with my Sonic Impact.

Agreed, it might be pushing the litle SI, but at $30..might as well give it a shot. It might make for a great little PC/Multimedia setup.

How do you like your Ascends when powered by the Sonic Imapct? Does it give the famed performance I have been reading about? Have you done any mods to it?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis