Possible to view standalone dvd player on computer monitor?

• Thread starter postgrungejunky
  • Start date
P

postgrungejunky

Enthusiast
hi! i bought components for a hi-res 5.1 audio system for my room. so far i have the a/v receiver and dvd-a/sacd player. unfortunately, theres no tv in here, but i would like some kinda visual to look at when navigating discs, and pictures to go along with the 5.1 DD or dts. the no brainer thing to do for latter is play the movie back thru my computer (since, a display isnt needed for dvd-a/sacd content, and since i have fairly decent 5.1 pc speakers, as far as pc speakers go). however, i have a professional grade soundcard (emu 1820m) that doesn't process any form of compressed surround sound like DD or dts. therefore, my question to you is is there any way to display progressive scan video on my monitor from my dvd player?

P

postgrungejunky

Enthusiast
i was thinking some kinda converter from component video ouputs from my dvd player to RGB cable that goes into as monitor, if such a thing exists. and then employ some kinda switcher?

E

ELK

Audiophyte
Disgital Video Scaler

You can use a Digtial Video Scaler to take the video from your DVD player into your local computer monitor. Though be advised this is not CHEAP. You can use a Extron DVS204. This is a high preforamce digital video scaler. This will accept video inputs compatible with NTSC, PAL, SECAM, and HDTV from 480p to 1080I. List price is around $2000, I think if I were you I would just buy a small computer monitor that can accept both component and RGBHV. Look at the Tote Vison LCD-1900V. This unit has NTSC/PaL, S-Video, component and PC inputs. This has a list of around $1785. There are others out there but remember you get what you pay for.

B

Brandst

Junior Audioholic
Depending on the monitor you have you may have inputs on it for such a signal. My Dell 20.1 in wide flat panel has VGA/DVI and S-video and composite video inputs. I have my Directv box, and a Pioneer universal DVD/SACD player running S-video into a Panny XR55 then S-video to my monitor. The only drawback to it is I have to manually switch the inputs on my monitor to watch TV or DVDs that way, but I can also do a PIP or PBP setup so I can watch while doing work or surfing the web.

Steve

P

postgrungejunky

Enthusiast
ic...thanks people...i'll look into it. i'm almost thinking it's cheaper/more convenient to buy a separate tv. but then again my monitor displays progressive scan natively, while standard def tvs dont. :(

P

postgrungejunky

Enthusiast
Brandst said:
Depending on the monitor you have you may have inputs on it for such a signal. My Dell 20.1 in wide flat panel has VGA/DVI and S-video and composite video inputs. I have my Directv box, and a Pioneer universal DVD/SACD player running S-video into a Panny XR55 then S-video to my monitor. The only drawback to it is I have to manually switch the inputs on my monitor to watch TV or DVDs that way, but I can also do a PIP or PBP setup so I can watch while doing work or surfing the web.

Steve
My 19" Viewsonic P95f DOES seem to have component video inputs. However, the jacks don't look like RCA...its that protruding kind with the needle in the middle...:confused:

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
postgrungejunky said:
My 19" Viewsonic P95f DOES seem to have component video inputs. However, the jacks don't look like RCA...its that protruding kind with the needle in the middle...:confused:
.....75 ohm coax?....MUCH better than rca's.....

.....edit....and guys, the kind of 75 ohm coax that screws down on the terminal, instead of the type that slides on like rca's, I have always found to be better per longevity of service.....

.....edit twoooooo.....them two foot 75 ohm coax ones from the cable company are killer....I put a certain piece of equipment in the closet one day when the cable guy called and was about to show up....he made me some short screw-down 75 ohm two foot cables in 5 minutes working out of his truck and was a super guy....right as he was leaving, he said he had a descrambler too, haha....truth....Taylor over Hopkins, I've looked at it from every angle, and Taylor is from Arkinsaw....that's actually what done it, boys.....

Last edited:
brian32672

brian32672

Banned
postgrungejunky said:
ic...thanks people...i'll look into it. i'm almost thinking it's cheaper/more convenient to buy a separate tv. but then again my monitor displays progressive scan natively, while standard def tvs dont. :(
I use a NeuNeo HVD 2085. It has a computer moniter vga hookup.
I use the vga out for when I play my dvd-mp3's
so I can use the file system to navigate the 500+ songs on my 15" Sony monitor.
And I use the HDMI/DVI out for the projector / for dvd movies (@ 120")...
Link Here - http://www.neodigits.com/
postgrungejunky said:
Those are called BNC's there are very few & expensive dvd players that use BNC.
However, I do think they can be used with a converter cable and or box - But don't quote me on that.
I know for a projector they can be used with a converter cable, but not sure on a computer monitor..

P

postgrungejunky

Enthusiast
thanks brian, everyone, i'll look ito it. probabley should wait until my black friday rebate checks arrive :p

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
brian32672 said:
Those are called BNC's there are very few & expensive dvd players that use BNC.
.....waded in there hip-deep and showed my ignorance once again, huh?.....

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
Alt+F4 said:
Hello! New here, but I think One Of These is what you're looking for... hope this helps!
EXCELLENT POST....... Hmm, this is the first I have seen these.
Most certainly, one of these will be bought by me - for the PJ.
Now I can get rid of the VCR as a cable tuner......
I still will use the dvd player VGA out for the 15" monitor.
But this box, I will use for the 120" screen.........

EDIT:: Hmm, there is no digital audio pass through.... (not a major problem)

Last edited:
mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
brian32672 said:
EXCELLENT POST....... Hmm, this is the first I have seen these.
Most certainly, one of these will be bought by me - for the PJ.
Now I can get rid of the VCR as a cable tuner......
I still will use the dvd player VGA out for the 15" monitor.
But this box, I will use for the 120" screen.........

EDIT:: Hmm, there is no digital audio pass through.... (not a major problem)
....there you go using that brain again......

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Do you have a DVD player on your computer?

With the right software, it will produce a better picture than most DVD players.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis