Positioning center channel...

ThA tRiXtA

ThA tRiXtA

Full Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>I have been doing some thinking, and am having troubles on deciding whether my center channel should go above or below my fairly tall standing Panasonic LCD projection widescreen. From what I understand, one would want the tweeters of the mains and center channel to be in rough proximity to each other to maintain a good pan across the soundstage.

Currently the center channel is on top of the tv.

Please note the rough diagram I have attached of my system. I have put a red line to illustrate what the pan looks like, and what it would be if the center was below the tv. Although just a rough drawing, please note the distance in curves between having the center on top or below.

The tv is 53 inches tall.
The main speaker towers are 38 inches tall.

Currently with the center on top of the tv, the center channel tweeter is 28 inches higher then that of the main channel tweeters.

If I were to place the center below the screen, the center channel tweeter would be only 20 inches below the main channel tweeters.

One thing that worries me if I placed the center below the tv, is that it would only sit 8 inches off the floor, which is currently hardwood, so it might harshly reflect alot of the sound. Is that too low to place the center? I think it might sound too low and muffled or something.

When I listen to the speakers or watch a movie, the listening (ear level) height is 40 to 45 inches.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Rob</font>

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
<font color='#000000'>I would say, if on the top, point it down slightly. And if on the bottom, point it up slightly. I am thinking it would sound the same either way. Maybe a slight advantage on the bottom!</font>

ThA tRiXtA

ThA tRiXtA

Full Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>So pretty much the same on either position huh?

ok thanks for your opinion.

Anybody else have an opinion too? I'd like to gather as much data as possible.</font>

annunaki

annunaki

<font color='#000000'>If you are worried about reflection off your hardwood floor, (lower position) simply place a large rug between the speaker and the listening position. In either case I would recommend the lower position as it is the lesser difference between the two. I would also suggest pointing it upwards, slightly.
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
<font color='#000000'>I had mine on the top for the longest time and the vocals always has a slight nasal sound to them. Just for the heck of it I put it on some short stands in front of the TV and now it sounds like the left and right. I would definatly put it lower, on it own stand in front of the TV, then move your left and right out to match the distance.</font>

ThA tRiXtA

ThA tRiXtA

Full Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>ok thanks everyone, I will test it out
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis