popular brand vs. niche brand?

G

Gables

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>I recently puchased two Elan Z660 amps for my whole-house audio installation. &nbsp;However, I'm having problems finalizing my speaker selection. &nbsp;I'm limited in that 2 pairs must be in-ceiling; one pair must be in-wall and the final two pairs must be outside loudspeakers (please don't laugh...spouse won this argument, but I want the best sound possible within my budget).

I was all set on purchasing Paradigm AMS 150s after listening to them the other day with a couple of my favorite CDs. &nbsp;However, my local dealer does not carry any other comparable in-ceiling speaker brand so I was unable to conduct any sort of comparative listening. &nbsp;Feeling a bit uneasy, I began to research in-wall and in-ceiling speakers using the internet. &nbsp;The more I read wonderful sites such as this one, the more I'm thinking about purchasing in-ceiling/in-wall speakers from a company that specializes in architectural speakers e.g., Sonance, Speakercraft, etc. To add even more to my confusion, I just found out that PSB (I currently own a paid of floor standing speakers and enjoy them to an extent) makes an adjustable in-ceiling speaker.

I'm struggling with buying a &quot;known&quot; brand versus a niche brand. &nbsp;I'm afraid a Paradigm, Klipsch or even PSB may only make an in-ceiling speaker to satisfy consumer demand in the ever growing whole-house installation market. &nbsp;On the other hand, are these niche/specialized companies such as Sonance and Speakercraft any good? Who knows?

My budget is around $600/pair. &nbsp;What should I do? &nbsp;Can any of you recommend a solid (good bass) in-ceiling and in-wall speaker? &nbsp;What about outdoor speakers?

I truly would appreciate any feedback. Thanks in advance.</font>

Khellandros66

Khellandros66

Banned
<font color='#000000'>Can't comment on Speakercraft, but Sonance is known for inwalls, PSB is good speakers and if you have a pair and like and trust the sound of PSB that shouldn't be a problem

~Bob</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>I have owned several inwalls at both my current and prior homes. &nbsp;First of all, even the best do not compare to a mid-fi freestanding speaker. &nbsp;The cabinet is quite important, and walls or ceilings are less than ideal. &nbsp;I know, the wife factor tends to require sacrifices!

The brands I have owned are Niles, Klipsch, Speakercraft, Sonnance, and PSB. &nbsp;The Speakercraft have been the champs, although quite pricey (AIM series). &nbsp;The Sonnance are also pretty nice. &nbsp;I did not care for the Niles or the PSB, relative to the others. &nbsp;Each of these brands carry a pretty wide range, from cheap to quite pricey.

You did not say if or waht your other speakers are. &nbsp;Are the in ceiling just for rears? &nbsp;If so, IMHO, it really does not matter that much. &nbsp;If they are fronts, be sure to get a speaker that has a tweeter that swivels so as to direct the sound toward you and not just straight down. &nbsp;

I have also been told that NHT makes a decent inwall/inceiling speaker. &nbsp;Not sure it makes much difference going with a niche player, just plan on spending way too much for the privledge of hiding them.</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis