popping/cracking noise coming from my sub...

Y

yakuzaboss1975

Enthusiast
i just recently i noticed a kind of popping/cracking noise coming from my sub. i'm running my Velodyne Deco 7.1 speakers system with an Onkyo TX-NR901 receiver. the crossover is set at 'deco setting' and the subwoofer level at a little less than half. when i watch movies, i have the master volume at around 60 - 70% of the maximum level. any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. please and thank you very much.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
If it's still under warranty, get it exchanged. It's probably blown.

www.velodyne.com/velodyne/products/ob_product_detail.aspx?ID=DECO&sid=584m148m

Service centers:
www.velodyne.com/velodyne/support/service_centers.aspx?sid=584m148m

One thing people need to remember when they purchase a subwoofer is to "break it in" slowly. Some of the very high end companies break in their subwoofers before shipping. Most do not. Subwoofers will be noticably stiff when you get them home, and you will have a tendency to push them to see what they can do. Avoid this. Play some heavy bass cd's on a moderate setting for a few hours a day to loosen up the woofer. You'll notice it breaking in and will sound better and better each day.

Last edited:
Doug917

Doug917

Full Audioholic
If it's not still under warranty, buy an SVS and never worry about bass again.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Buckeyefan 1 said:
One thing people need to remember when they purchase a subwoofer is to "break it in" slowly.
Buckeyefan 1 said:
Yet another one of the audio mythology, urban legend that cannot be killed :mad:

Some of the very high end companies break in their subwoofers before shipping.

No wonder they have such a snake oil reputation peddling bs.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
yakuzaboss1975 said:
i just recently i noticed a kind of popping/cracking noise coming from my sub. i'm running my Velodyne Deco 7.1 speakers system with an Onkyo TX-NR901 receiver. the crossover is set at 'deco setting' and the subwoofer level at a little less than half. when i watch movies, i have the master volume at around 60 - 70% of the maximum level. any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. please and thank you very much.
Is this a new sub? How old, if so? Did you level match all your speakers setting up your system? This may be an issue of driving it too loud because of a poor setup?

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
mtrycrafts said:
Buckeyefan 1 said:
One thing people need to remember when they purchase a subwoofer is to "break it in" slowly.
Buckeyefan 1 said:
Yet another one of the audio mythology, urban legend that cannot be killed :mad:

Some of the very high end companies break in their subwoofers before shipping.

No wonder they have such a snake oil reputation peddling bs.
Mtry,

I would have thought you knew better than that. Speakers absolutely "break in." Glue, coils, materials, etc... When you buy a new car, do you take the rpm's to 4000 right off the lot or trust the manual to let the oil lubricate the engine and let the pistons adjust to the block? Moving parts require time to settle in. If you think telling a newbie to take their new Velodyne and turn way it up with "Saving Private Ryan" out of the box - without breaking it in, I hope you also offer them a warranty if they start to hear "pops" and "cracks". Bad advice. Very bad advice.

Y

yakuzaboss1975

Enthusiast
i've had this sub just over 5 months. i also had my system calibrated by a friend who's a custom installer and home theater nut. he also broke in the speakers with a break in cd.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
What does he feel is happening? Any time I've had a "pop" in a driver, it ended up needing replaced.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis