Poor Plasma Picture

X

x2skier

Enthusiast
I posted way back in January (I think) about a poor picture on my NEC plasma TV. I went through all of the troubleshooting steps and checked everything that I could. Everyone on the site was very helpful. Thanks.

One of the suggestions was to take the set into a repair center. They discovered that the main board was bad. Unfortunately, finding another board has been a major issue. I have the set again in my posession because I felt bad having the TV repair shop store my set that he is currently unable to fix. However, if I can get the part he can fix the set.

I am trying to find the part, but first I need to know the part number that I am looking for so I get the exact right piece. Does anyone know of a site that lists the parts with descriptions for an NEC plasma 42VP4?

This has become more of a quest than anything else. If I knew it was going to drag on like this I would have just bought the new one in January. Now I have to prove to my wife that this can be done. I don't need to hear about this too for the next thirty or so years. Thanks everyone.:p

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Two additional options come to mind:

1. Ask the repairman for the part number. If he knows that he can't get it, he must know what it is.

2. Obtain a service manual for that TV and look up the part number.

X

x2skier

Enthusiast
I tried finding the service manual prior to the post, but I could not find anything that I can view on-line (free). I also tried calling the repairman prior to posting, but he was not available until tomorrow. I will call him in the morning, but that was why I tried here.

Thanks for the common sense though.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Sorry if I came across as patronizing. That wasn't my intention.

Good luck with finding your part. I hope that you can get your TV fixed.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I posted way back in January (I think) about a poor picture on my NEC plasma TV. I went through all of the troubleshooting steps and checked everything that I could. Everyone on the site was very helpful. Thanks.

One of the suggestions was to take the set into a repair center. They discovered that the main board was bad. Unfortunately, finding another board has been a major issue. I have the set again in my posession because I felt bad having the TV repair shop store my set that he is currently unable to fix. However, if I can get the part he can fix the set.

I am trying to find the part, but first I need to know the part number that I am looking for so I get the exact right piece. Does anyone know of a site that lists the parts with descriptions for an NEC plasma 42VP4?

This has become more of a quest than anything else. If I knew it was going to drag on like this I would have just bought the new one in January. Now I have to prove to my wife that this can be done. I don't need to hear about this too for the next thirty or so years. Thanks everyone.:p
What do NEC say about it, and how old is that TV? They have to have parts readily available for seven years from the date of last manufacture, by Federal law. There is far too much of this sort of thing from Far Eastern junk manufacturers!

But I will tell you another thing, I bet they will charge you more for a main circuit board then the TV cost in the first place. That will be the next shameful stunt they will pull.

You probably will end up getting rid of it. If you do buy a Panasonic. Leave off brands alone.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
It got me wondering.
Would a reputable repair shop, be unable to find a part?
And would they leave it to the customer to find the part?
Count your blessings, that you got the TV back.
Maybe a second opinion would be of more help.
Good Luck.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

It got me wondering.
Would a reputable repair shop, be unable to find a part?
And would they leave it to the customer to find the part?
Count your blessings, that you got the TV back.
Maybe a second opinion would be of more help.
Good Luck.
Don't believe it. Far eastern manufacture is often bad in the parts dept. This is perfectly plausible unfortunately.

X

x2skier

Enthusiast
Conclusion

The website from NEC directed me to the only local service dealer in the area. The repair service shop is Electrasound. When I mentioned this to the other repair shop he said that he had tried to purchase the part through them, but they were not helpful at all. He also mentioned that he had heard a lot of complaints from other clients.

I took the set in one morning last week. The man behind the counter asked what I was bringing in. I told him that it was 42" NEC plasma. "Hang on," he says, “I don't know if we Work on those."

"The people at NEC said that you did," I replied.
"They don't always know what they are talking about" he retaliated.
So I waited at the counter for him. After a few minutes he came back to tell me that technically they are the service center for NEC, but he is unaware that he could get a part. At this point I appreciated his honesty. I told him that another repair shop had diagnosed that the set needed a new main board. He quickly replied that they do not accept the diagnosis of another repair shop. That I also understand. He proceeded to tell me that I can leave the set with him and give him $90 to diagnose the problem. Then he will see if he can find the part. I requested that we hypothetically assume that the main board is the issue; could we not call first to see if that part was in fact available? I saw no sense in giving him $90 if there was no chance of getting the part. He refused to make a simple phone call for me. I explained that I did not want to leave my set with him and pay him to tell me that there are no parts to which he replied, “I don’t blame you.”

So I guess I am back to square 1. I have a non operational 42” plasma in my garage.

**UPDATE**

Prior to pressing post I telephoned NEC one last time. I got lost in the Q, but eventually came out to a technician in Illinois. I do not think I was supposed to get to him, because even he asked how I was transferred to his desk. Anyway, to make a long story even longer he was really helpful. He gave me the part number (936Q0M05) and the list price of $1426.74. They may be able to get the part from Japan in 4-6 weeks. Unless I can Frankenstein another machine immediately, I think I am finally ready to get the new set.

Adam, I was not trying to be a smart a** to you. I certainly appreciate you trying to help me. It was more of a message for people to try and exhaust their own avenues first before they take someone else’s time.

Midcow2, the phone number you gave started me on the path of finally getting through to a person. The actual number was three phone calls away, but you got me started. Thank you.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

The website from NEC directed me to the only local service dealer in the area. The repair service shop is Electrasound. When I mentioned this to the other repair shop he said that he had tried to purchase the part through them, but they were not helpful at all. He also mentioned that he had heard a lot of complaints from other clients.

I took the set in one morning last week. The man behind the counter asked what I was bringing in. I told him that it was 42" NEC plasma. "Hang on," he says, “I don't know if we Work on those."

"The people at NEC said that you did," I replied.
"They don't always know what they are talking about" he retaliated.
So I waited at the counter for him. After a few minutes he came back to tell me that technically they are the service center for NEC, but he is unaware that he could get a part. At this point I appreciated his honesty. I told him that another repair shop had diagnosed that the set needed a new main board. He quickly replied that they do not accept the diagnosis of another repair shop. That I also understand. He proceeded to tell me that I can leave the set with him and give him $90 to diagnose the problem. Then he will see if he can find the part. I requested that we hypothetically assume that the main board is the issue; could we not call first to see if that part was in fact available? I saw no sense in giving him $90 if there was no chance of getting the part. He refused to make a simple phone call for me. I explained that I did not want to leave my set with him and pay him to tell me that there are no parts to which he replied, “I don’t blame you.”

So I guess I am back to square 1. I have a non operational 42” plasma in my garage.

**UPDATE**

Prior to pressing post I telephoned NEC one last time. I got lost in the Q, but eventually came out to a technician in Illinois. I do not think I was supposed to get to him, because even he asked how I was transferred to his desk. Anyway, to make a long story even longer he was really helpful. He gave me the part number (936Q0M05) and the list price of $1426.74. They may be able to get the part from Japan in 4-6 weeks. Unless I can Frankenstein another machine immediately, I think I am finally ready to get the new set.

Adam, I was not trying to be a smart a** to you. I certainly appreciate you trying to help me. It was more of a message for people to try and exhaust their own avenues first before they take someone else’s time.

Midcow2, the phone number you gave started me on the path of finally getting through to a person. The actual number was three phone calls away, but you got me started. Thank you.
Typical of the awful service encountered these days far too often. I was expecting the board to be expensive. With labor, I bet you final bill would have been in the neighborhood of $2000.

So your only practical option is to take the NEC to the recycling center and get a Panny, or something of that quality. I see you can get a new TV for less than the board, as I predicted. I bet if you replaced it the new one would likely fail the same way in a short period of time.

X

x2skier

Enthusiast
I think you told me that back in January, but I am one of those that has to exhaust every possibility. On the other hand, we did make a nice puzzle last weekend with flowers and kitties in that room since there was no T.V. to watch. YIKES, I need help.;p

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Adam, I was not trying to be a smart a** to you.
I didn't take it that way, but thanks for saying so! I was afraid that I had offended you.

Sounds like you have your answer for the TV. $1400 for a new board?!? Wow. That makes the decision easy, doesn't it?

dobyblue

dobyblue

Senior Audioholic
Well if Electrasound sell TV's I suggest you go in there and waste their time with lots of demonstrations and then at the end tell them you've made up your mind on which TV you want but you're going to order it elsewhere, adding that their inability to make one phone call to check on a part for you without you forking over the $90 for the diagnosis is the reason they've lost your business.

Honestly, what a douchebag.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis