Poor mans setup, thrift store?

parasite

Audiophyte
Hi,

i'm a student that really hasen't got much cash to blow (on pretty much everything!) on an awsome audio setup. After visiting the thrift-store with my friend i found they have a wide selection of handed down speaker systems and was woundering if any of them would satisfy my listening pleasures. With most of the audio gear seeming to date to the 80s-90s (i'm only guessing by the old wood kind design) , i would only guess they would be damaged &/or obselete. Pointing out some buying guides would be awsome, like brands sizes.

Help a poor guy out who loves music :(

thank you.

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

If you're lucky, you might find something in a pawnshop or thrift store that's decent, but most of it's not. I have known people who've found rather vauable gear at thrift stores, though- very expensive 'tables and LPs sometimes find their way there after a divorce or death of a husband (as most gearheads are men).

I suggest Ebay as a better source. You can often buy really nice stuff for a fraction of new price. Especially big brands like JBL & Infinity. I was just noticing last nite that some decent budget Infinity speakers from the 90's were going for not much over ten cents on the dollar! :eek: The really good stuff tends to go for a much higher percentage of retail- just supply & demand.

I've bought & sold gear on Ebay with good results. In fact, I just sold an amp there today (got all my money out of it & saved the buyer a lot of $, too). And I have 2 more peices listed right now.

JohnA

JohnA

Audioholic Chief
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis