Polk versus Paradigm

T

Tallcane

Junior Audioholic
I am going to purchase two bookshelf speakers and a center channel. I am leaning towards the paradigm monitor threes or fives and the matching center channel. I was also considering polk RTi6 and the LSI3 center, but no one seems to be touting the polks. Anyone have any input on which they would recommend coupling with a Yamaha 2500? Also, does anyone know of an online Paradigm retailer? They seem hard to find.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
I like both. I think I would go with Paradigm. They are a little better at mid-bass. I think Polk is better in the midrange. Toss-up on the tweets. It would just depend on which sound you prefer. Both are great, and you would be happy either way. ;)

No Paradigm e-tailors as far as I know. You can do a dealer search on the Paradigm website. If there is not a local dealer near you, you may find one that will work with you. But, if there is a local dealer, you need to use them. You will most likely pay retail, but you will develop a relationship with the dealer for future purchases. :)

By the way, Paradigm is well worth retail. ;)

N

nm2285

Senior Audioholic
Any reason the LSI center with the RTi bookshelves? I would recommend paradigm unless you do LSi bookshelves as well. In that case, much harder decision...you're preference.

T

Tallcane

Junior Audioholic
Oops, didnt mean the LSI center, I meant the CSi3 center. Sorry.

If I have a room with ceramic tile floors is there going to be too much resonance in the room? Would using the paradigm system be too much for the room? Would I be better off just getting the Athena speakers discussed elsewhere because the room will not benefit from spending the extra money? If these questions seem stupid I apologize. I am learning as I read different things here.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
I have the CSi5 and a pair of the RTi4's (as surround backs). They are absolutely fantastic. A good friend of mine has the Paradigm Monitors - a full 7.1 setup. We both run Denon receivers. I think the Paradigm are a bit more efficient, with better bass, but I prefer the mids and highs of the Polks. I swear by Polk tweeters - smooth and very clean. You cannot go wrong with either. We both demo'd all different types of speakers together, all over Dallas TX, and Columbus, OH and based on reasonable budgets, felt the Polk and Paradigm lines were the best for overall sound and value in the higher mid priced speakers.

T

Tallcane

Junior Audioholic
Thanks Buckeye. With that input I am leaning back to polk because it is much easier for me to go demo and get ahold of them then it is for me to demo and get ahold of the paradigms.

Any input on the issues of the room being to resonant or if I am correct in using the term, bright? Am I going to purchase this nice mid level polk speaker system and come home and find it is too much for the room? Is it possible I would end up with a better result with a much cheaper smaller system like the Athena's?

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
I think you'd be thrilled with the Athena speakers (if you can still find them). A co-worker has 4 of the AS-F2 towers and they are incredible, even with a cheaper Sony receiver.

B

Brianphoto

Audioholic Intern
I am running Denon into Paradigm studio's and the sound is great but a waranty issure with Paradigm has changed my mind about them. See post in loudspeakers and subwoofers.

R

RuSsMaN

Enthusiast
Have you listened to either? Between Polk RTi and P-dime Monitor series, my preference would be the Polks, hands down.

If you have a 'live' room, you can tame it with an area rug, window / wall treatments, etc.

Cheers,
Russ

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis