G

gomezgb

Enthusiast
Good day everybody!

I would like to know if the Polk subwoofers are a good brand.

Best buy is selling a 200 watt subwoofer for about 250$. They have also B&W subwoofers bot at around 700$, much more expensive. I am looking for a 200-watt subwoofer.

I have heard B&W brand is very good but also expensive. But what about the Polk brand?

Thanks for your advise.

GABRIEL GOMEZ

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Not really. you really don't judge subs by their power. You look attheir ability to play loud enough to fill your room and deep enough to satisfy your cravings for extended bass. Also, there'sa lot more availabel than whatyou find at Best Buy and other chain stores, if ther are any others left.

For example, if you only have $200 or so you could get a BIC F-12 that will trounce that Polk but if you up your price, you can get even better from Hsu, SVS and other Internet Only subwoofer manufacurers.

But, if you share with us your room size and the amount you wish to spend (the more, the better) then we can offer some useful suggestions.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
What Mark said above, without knowing room size and budget recommending sub is not practical.
That said I would definitely skip any Polk subs and not waste money on (slightly better) F12 sub - which does have lots of power for HT use, but far from being good choice for music
This might be a decent compromise - Amazon.com: JBL ES250PBK High-Performance 12-Inch Powered Subwoofer: Electronics

at same price point.

Do keep in mind that good subs only start at around $500

B

Basshead81

Audioholic
I have owned several budget sub ranging from the polk psw505, psw202, psw10, jbl ES250, kenwood sigma servo 10, and dayton sub1200. Imo the best sub for the money is the dayton, it sounds the most accurate and is the best priced. The PSW 505 has a lot of output but is boomy. I doubt the BIC F12 is any better. That being said if you can spend more then start with atleast a HSU VTF-1, SVS PB-1000, or Rythmik LV12r.

G

gomezgb

Enthusiast
Hello, everybody, thanks for your comments.

Right now I cannot tell the room size.

The thing is I will be in Miami next week and I was browsing the bestbuy website, so I found these subs in there.

What about the B&W brand? In a general way, do the offer good subs?

REGARDS
GABRIEL

G

gomezgb

Enthusiast
Thanks for your comment!

I was looking at the web page of the PB-1000 outlet and looks good, but the thing is that I am looking for a 200 watts subwoofer, no more than 250 watts, and this one is 300 watts.

The room are is about 4 feet x 4 feet.

What can you suggest?

J

jkgsxr

Junior Audioholic
Thanks for your comment!

I was looking at the web page of the PB-1000 outlet and looks good, but the thing is that I am looking for a 200 watts subwoofer, no more than 250 watts, and this one is 300 watts.

What can you suggest?
Wattage of a subwoofer has nothing to do with quality or even loudness, to a certain extent, so I wouldn't get to caught up on wattage.
4 x 4 room? Sounds very small?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks for your comment!

What can you suggest?
4ft by 4ft, or 4m x 4m, Or 40'x40'?

As mentioned more than once, don't use wattage as a deciding factor when it comes to subs because that doesn't tell you much that's useful in terms of performance.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Like the guys have said you will be fine with the PB1000.:cool:

G

gomezgb

Enthusiast
The are room is about 4 ft x 4 ft. (16 square feet)

The thing about the wattage is this. I could by an A/V receiver which delivers 110 watts x channel (this is the most I can pay for). THen, I want to buy bookshelves speaker which capacity no less than 110 watts per speaker; this gives a total of 220 watts.

So, to get a good balance of sound I think I need a 220 watt subwoofer (at least), then do you think is good enough or should I get a more powerful sub? I appreciate your comments.

REGARDS
GABRIEL

G

gomezgb

Enthusiast
Sorry, sorry I was confused!

The area is 25 square meters, not feet. I apologize.

REGARDS

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
My AV is 110 watts as well and no problems at all.

G

gomezgb

Enthusiast
Among all these subs: HSU VTF-1, SVS PB-1000, or Rythmik LV12r, what do you think is the best in quality and price?

REGARDS
GABRIEL

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
SVS PB-1000 or SVS PB-2000 either one will work fine in your space. Can't comment on the others since I've never heard or owned them, but they all have great reputations.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis