Polk RTi10 vs RTi12

B

bridge_player

Audiophyte
I am sending the bass to a HSU VTF-3 MK2 12" subwoofer. Is there any advantage to having RTi12 speakers in the front vs RTi10's or will the subwoofer handle any differences between those 2 speakers. My center speaker will be a Polk LSiC and my rear and side surround speakers will be Polk AB800 in wall speakers. I have not purchased it yet, but was planning on getting a Yamaha HTR-5990 Receiver for my New 7.1 Home theater and a Panasonic projector, either PT-AE700U or PT-AE900U. If it matters, the room is a dedicated theater room 12X17 9' tall. Thanks for your help on the Polks, and if you have any other advice for this newby, I will gladly accept it.:) I also saw something in an earlier thread relating to Yamaha amps not doing well with Polk Speakers. Had not heard that before?????

Last edited:
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
bridge_player said:
I also saw something in an earlier thread relating to Yamaha amps not doing well with Polk Speakers. Had not heard that before?????

Try not to believe everything you read, even here at AH:rolleyes:

Johnny Canuck

Johnny Canuck

Banned
Well I can guarantee that Yamaha DVD players are very bright compared to the Denon 2910 i have now. The brightness is because yamaha have "natural" sound as they call it, same as their receivers.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Johnny Canuck said:
Well I can guarantee that Yamaha DVD players are very bright compared to the Denon 2910 i have now. The brightness is because yamaha have "natural" sound as they call it, same as their receivers.

Could you show us the specs? Perhaps Stereopile has them? And, yes, what you speak of will show up on the specked or measured frequency response.

S

satish536

Audioholic
Polk RTI'S Are U Sure

Well im not like one of the gurus out here on this site and im not that knowledgable either, jus wanted to let u know of my experience .....i was in love with the Polk Rti10's myself put up a few posts on this forum and saw good reviews was all set to get a pair when:- . When i went to my a/v guy he told polk has gone down, it was good only in the 90's. So i dint believe him n told him i want a listen first ....i did a A/B comparison on the following speakers which werehooked up to a NAD power amplifier and Cd Player
a. Polk Rti8
b. Polk Lsi15
c. Wharfedale 9.6
d. Klipsch Synergy F3

Might be personal opinion but the Rti sounded not even close to to the even Wharfedales which were a little chaper than both the polks.The Rti's Soundstage was like so compressed and so small , jus wasnt close to open as the sound of the other two. The Lsi's and the wharfedales sounded pretty good and was getting hard to choose maybe the Lsi was a little bit better sounding. Another thing is that i fell in love with the Klipsch sound maybe its the horns...Thats a different story altogether but since that day i lost faith in the Rti Series. There is huge difference between Rti and Lsi, atleast i think so and i would suggest if you can afford it go for the Lsi Series. Though i think you should give them a careful listen and decide for yourself

Johnny Canuck

Johnny Canuck

Banned
There is also a huge difference in price between the RTIs and LSis. Also, the LSi's need much more power to drive, so that will clost you hundreds more for an amp. You are comparing apples to oranges.

I agree, I could have done better for my money than the RTI 12's. But at $899 or whatever Polk is selling these for now, they blow all those away you listed. The 12's are in a different leaage than the 8's but at the same price now. How is that not a great deal??? And another thing, the RTI series are inefficient, requiring more power so you may have heard them with a low powered receiver. Not a fair audition IMO

Yamaha's brightness does not show up in the specs. It's how they sound. You can believe me or not. I have tried 4 different Yamaha players and they were all bright. Maybe using less detailed speakers as you stated would even out the brightness, but Polk speakers, being bright and detailed as they are, are an awful match with Yamaha.

I don't really care if you believe me or not. Go waste your money. I have spent a year experimenting and I am helping people with my experiences.

JC

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Johnny Canuck said:
There is also a huge difference in price between the RTIs and LSis. Also, the LSi's need much more power to drive, so that will clost you hundreds more for an amp. You are comparing apples to oranges.

I agree, I could have done better for my money than the RTI 12's. But at $899 or whatever Polk is selling these for now, they blow all those away you listed. The 12's are in a different leaage than the 8's but at the same price now. How is that not a great deal??? And another thing, the RTI series are inefficient, requiring more power so you may have heard them with a low powered receiver. Not a fair audition IMO

Yamaha's brightness does not show up in the specs. It's how they sound. You can believe me or not. I have tried 4 different Yamaha players and they were all bright. Maybe using less detailed speakers as you stated would even out the brightness, but Polk speakers, being bright and detailed as they are, are an awful match with Yamaha.

I don't really care if you believe me or not. Go waste your money. I have spent a year experimenting and I am helping people with my experiences.

JC
The brightness will show up on specs. There is many things that contribute to it. Room, tone controls, and bright speakers to begin with. I personally like the sound of yamaha Recivers, and I like the look.

Some measurements will put this voodoo myth to rest.

Sheep

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Johnny Canuck said:
Yamaha's brightness does not show up in the specs. It's how they sound. You can believe me or not.
Johnny Canuck said:
Thanks. I will choose not to believe you. The specs will indeed show if they are 'bright' as you claim, or neutral, which it is as it has flat frequency response, period. Not much to debate. There is no unknown measurement, unknown technology that we just don't know about yet, but rather old stuff and demonstrable, if properly done so.

JC

As stated in the past, experiences doesn't give one an exemption from being wrong. We'll just let the readers make informed choices, ok?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Sheep said:
Some measurements will put this voodoo myth to rest.

Sheep

No it won't :p

People then may have to change their belief system a rather difficult task:D

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
mtrycrafts said:
No it won't :p

People then may have to change their belief system a rather difficult task:D
.....Mtry, haven't there been accounts of some receivers being changed out, and the speakers never moved?.....haven't we heard "bright out of the box?"....and such?....guys, I have another test like Buck's weight-test and my Bic front-firing sub-test....I used to use it on receivers...."the live test"....simply leaning to receivers that had the most transparent "live" quality to them....to me, it ended up meaning "build quality throughout the electronics"....

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

mulester7 said:
.....Mtry, haven't there been accounts of some receivers being changed out, and the speakers never moved?.....haven't we heard "bright out of the box?"....and such?....guys, I have another test like Buck's weight-test and my Bic front-firing sub-test....I used to use it on receivers...."the live test"....simply leaning to receivers that had the most transparent "live" quality to them....to me, it ended up meaning "build quality throughout the electronics"....

Sure we had testimonials. How are they different form any other testimonials out there on anything: selling a product on infomercials, testimonials about psychics, and on it goes.

What is bright out of the box? Amps don't break in! Speakers don't break in sonically! I am at a loss then what is being conveyed.

No, such reports are grossly unreliable as they are based on unreliable protocols. Specs, in this case specifically frequency response, will reflect its so called 'bright' sound. It doesn't in the Yams case. It is not bright but is only in the eye of the beholder, not in reality.

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
mtrycrafts said:
Sure we had testimonials. How are they different form any other testimonials out there on anything?
.....Mtry, follow me here....guys, with good sense, and good hearing, crap, any hearing, a comparison is being made here, took a new receiver out of the box and replaced the receiver they MOVED OUT, with the speakers never moving........

Resident Loser

Resident Loser

Senior Audioholic
Well, maybe...

Johnny Canuck said:
..everything else is "dim"...all these terms bandied about are highly subjective in nature and subject to personal interpretation...perhaps Yamaha IS more natural in it's sound, possibly measureably so...

Some folks spend years looking for that "correct"(according to who?) synergy...others simply use tone controls or room treatments.

jimHJJ(...just my two cents...)

Johnny Canuck

Johnny Canuck

Banned
ok. Enough on the subject. To each their own. I know what I heard, and if I am wrong, I'm wrong. I will just enjoy my Denon 2910 with the satisfaction that i compared 6 other players, 5 of which were Yamaha and there was a night and day difference.

JC

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis