Polk Reserve Set up

C

codered2384

Audiophyte
Hi! I'm just building my first real system. I'm about to order the pork reserve r700 and am thinking of pairing it with the parasound a23+ and Bluesound node to start with. then add the P6 and more power down the road when I can afford it(another a23+). I am just wondering if it's safe to bridge the a23+ for the r700. or to use the loop out and biamp. I would rather bridge if it's safe for the speakers and amp, so that way I only have one pair of speaker cables running to each speaker.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Hi! I'm just building my first real system. I'm about to order the pork reserve r700 and am thinking of pairing it with the parasound a23+ and Bluesound node to start with. then add the P6 and more power down the road when I can afford it(another a23+). I am just wondering if it's safe to bridge the a23+ for the r700. or to use the loop out and biamp. I would rather bridge if it's safe for the speakers and amp, so that way I only have one pair of speaker cables running to each speaker.
Hey! Congratulations on your first system! What reciever are you using for it? Are you using a prepro maybe I'm dense is that what the blue sound node is for?

What's your room size and seating distance from the speakers?

You shouldn't have to bridge the amp or biamp those speakers at all. Keep the jumpers on the binding posts and hook them up with one set of cables.

Biamping and bridging is usually just a nice way to hype up speakers and sell more for a little more money. It doesn't really improve performance in most circumstances

Are you just starting with the 2 r700 and building as you go?

Also are you using any subs?

Thanks and enjoy the new system!

C

codered2384

Audiophyte
Hey! Congratulations on your first system! What reciever are you using for it? Are you using a prepro maybe I'm dense is that what the blue sound node is for?

You shouldn't have to bridge the amp or biamp those speakers at all. Keep the jumpers on the binding posts and hook them up with one set of cables.

Biamping and bridging is usually just a nice way to hype up speakers and sell more for a little more money. It doesn't really improve performance in most circumstances

yeah I'm pretty much just starting out. I have a 20 year old receiver, a pioneer VSX454, paired with two three-way JVC 8 inch speakers from one of those old three disc changer home stereo units. The receiver is 110 W a channel and drives the speakers quite well. i'm actually amazed how much thump they have. as well as the receiver even without bass boost turned on. I'd like a new receiver as well but I'm on the fence right now because of all the HD 2.1 issues. I will definitely keep this receiver just because of the insane bass, but it has no pre-outs and no optical inputs. probably just keep it for an outdoor receiver. from what I've heard on YouTube videos Bluesound node works perfect as a preamp, and the new one also has HDMI Earc. i'm going to start with r 700s and the blue sound node. i'd like to go with the anthem receiver and amp. but I will be saving my pennies for a long time if I go that route.

C

codered2384

Audiophyte
Parasound halo a23+ says it's not recommended for bridging to four ohms, but the polk r 700s say they're compatible with eight ohm receivers even though they are 4 ohm speakers. hence my Curiosity.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The receiver shouldn't have much to do with the bass content particularly, altho if you do boost the bass then you're increasing the load on the amp of course. Even tho the 454 isn't rated for 4 ohm particularly, it does indicate a dynamic rating into both 2 and 4 ohm. I'd just use the 454 until such time as you can upgrade if you want to move to more powerful amplification (does it not get loud enough now?). Your speakers are of reasonable sensitivity so should perform fairly well with what you have now. Not having modern digital connectivity can be a pain, tho (I had a similar Pioneer many years ago but upgraded that to a more modern one quite a while back).

Might want to read up on what biwiring/biamping is about here, but I'd not bother with either myself but bi-amping isn't doubling the power if that's what you're thinking....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis