Polk CS245 vs. Axiom VP-50

Saint

Saint

Junior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>I can either keep my current center, a Polk CS245 I got really cheap (like $60) or switch it for my friend's Axiom VP-50.

My mains are currently Axiom M22ti and I'd like to keep it all axiom of course, but not if the VP-50 gets owned by the CS245.

Polk CS245:

Frequency Response, -3dB 55Hz- 23kHz
System Impedance- 8ohms
Efficiency (1M, 1W) 90 dB
Woofer 2- 5¼&quot; shielded
Tweeter1-1&quot; soft dome shielded
Enclosure 6.4&quot; H × 16¾&quot; W × 9¼&quot; D
Shipping weight- 22lbs

VP50 Specifications

Max Amp Power 125 Watts
Min Amp Power 10 Watts
Freq Resp +/-3dB (Hz) 100-22K
Freq Resp +3dB/-9dB (Hz) 80-22K
SPL in Room 1w/1m 91 dB
Anechoic SPL 1w/1m 87 dB
Impedance 8 Ohms
Woofer Dual 4.5&quot;
Tweeter 1&quot; hybrid
Dimens. (in.)(HxWxD) 6.5x14.75x5.5
Weight 7.5 lbs per

</font>

A

av_phile

Senior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>In general, the same speakers forming a series for main, center and surround would benefit from timbre matching that can yield a more seamless soundstage. &nbsp;Timbre is another term for color or sound signature. &nbsp;This applies to most commercial speakers in the low to mid price points. &nbsp;More expensive speakers that are usually accurate and neutral should exhibit no timbre character or coloration. &nbsp;So this trait may not matter at all. &nbsp;But it would still be safe to have all the fornt speakers at least be of the same series in a brand.

Looking at the specs, it seems the Axiom speaker is 1 db more senstive than the polk. The difference may not be audible and can easily be overcome by level settings, but it would be a good idea to have all the speakers of the same sensitivity. &nbsp;So if your current Axiom main speakers have the same senstivity as the axion center, I would opine getting the axiom center.

However, I also noticed the Polk center could dip down 3db at 55 hz compared with the Axiom which may be down by 9 db at 80 Hz, 3db at 100, so you really won't hear anything much at 55Hz. &nbsp;That means the Polk appears to give stronger bass.

If you prefer better bass response, the polk audio seems like a clear winner in this department. &nbsp;These are the numbers. &nbsp;But I really would suggest you audition and compare the two and let your ears decide. &nbsp;Just my 2 cents.</font>

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis