Polk 7.1 mix-n-match review

KASR

KASR

Full Audioholic
OK, so after a few purchases, I have my 7.1 setup complete (or until I upgrade the speakers and start the mad process all over again!) :D

Let's start with the first purchase: Polk RM6750

This complete 5.1 speaker setup was my first real jump into the Home Theater foray and I have to tell you - the Polks were worth every penny. I was supremely impressed with the larger than life sound that came from this little guys. Don't let the size fool you - these are perfect for discreet home theater speaker setup. I had these in a room that measured about 15 x 18ft and it overpowered the room with vibrant, clear and clean sound. The subwoofer was also spot on - and even though I've upgrade my front L/R and center speakers, I still use the subwoofer - it's that good! I highly recommend this set for the serious low-to mid-range home theater setup. Polks really sound great compared to other speakers that I have demo'ed.

Then I added: 2 x Polk Monitor 50 floorstanding speaker:

Why lie? I'm a bargain hunter - so while I was perfectly happy with my Polk RM6750 speaker system, the satellite speakers for front and back seem to be lacking in the right strength to create a powerful sound field. I wanted to stay with Polk, so i starting investigating. Found me a set of Monitor 50's and scooped them up for song and never looked back.

These speakers are not a full-range speaker, so you'll want them to handle the Mid's and High's only - bass will be very weak, if existent at all. No worries if you have a separate bass driver - but other than that, these speakers absolutely scream and create a great sound for the price. I highly recommend them for Left, Right and if you want to match, go surrounds.

With the beefier left and right, the center of the RM6750 was outmatched....so I completed the front of the soundstage with the Polk CS1 center channel speaker:

This piece replaced the RM6750 center channel that was underpowered and outmatched when I added my Monitor 50's to the left and right of the sound stage. I must say, that adding this larger center really made a different - audio popped, music rang and overall clarity was increased. The last piece of the puzzle will be the rear speakers and the subwoofer upgrade. I couldn't be happier with this center. It even handeld mid-bass and some lower frequency with competency!

Some might think that the RM6750 satellites would be collecting dust on a shelf somewhere, but they are not - they are pulling their weight (in excellent form, I might add) as the left right surrounds as well as the left right rear surrounds.

For those on a budget, you can't beat the bang for the buck on the older Polk components - I highly recommend them!

radridd

radridd

Audioholic
I just setup the RM6750 in my sister-in-law's new house. They love it! They have one Blu-Ray (King-Kong) and everytime I stop by they are watching it. At least I know what to buy them for Christmas.
One thing for sure, "You are correct" The mad process will start over again and again! In my case the mad process is intensified by my wife, but on another level. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis