Please recommend a good non-snake oil powerbar

Saint

Saint

Junior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>I need something good to power my entire HT system, including:

- Sony 51&quot; RP TV
- H/K Avr-120
- H/K FL8380 CD player
- X-Box
- Bravo D1 DVD
- Sat DIsh receiver
etc

Preferably something quality but not ridiculously expensive.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>If you are considering buying a surge supressor you should check out the following URL for more info:

http://www.overclockers.com/articles934/

It pertains to computers but it is very informative. &nbsp;You might also want to check Rip Van Woofer's website (you can find his URL in his signature, he posts in the forum about eceivers/amplifiers/processors). &nbsp;Audioholics seems partial to Monster PowerCenters (they list them in the Home Theater System Guides).</font>

P

petermwilson

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Hi,
I saw a demo at Best Buy that had a bunch of equipment conneted toa norman power bar and speakers. &nbsp;There was a distinct hiss coming from the speakers.

They then unplugges that power bar and plugges the whole thing into a Monster cable HST100 I think, 8 marked outlets (marked for reciever/vdv ect) and the sound from the speakers disappears.

It was $250cdn but I thought it was a good investment.

Peter m.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>The Tripplite Isobar Ultra series is very good. Excellent surge and spike protection and excellent RFI/EMI filtering. About 70 to 80 dollars for 8 outlets.
              d.b.</font>

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<font color='#0000FF'>I am in total agreement with Dan on Trripp Lite, I use three Tripp Lite power conditioners and the reason I still have 15 year old components running in great condition is due to these conditioners, they have protected my systems from surges and brown outs in US and now in India where the power lines are really bad, as a matter of fact they are sharing the same line with the factories so surges and the norm.

If you have invested good deal of your money in A/V equipment, the Tripp Lite is a good safeguard. Dont use Panamax or any other cheap conditioners as not only their protection level is questionable but they limit and compress the dynamics of your system.</font>

G

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
Saint : <font color='#000000'>I need something good to power my entire HT system, including:

- Sony 51&quot; RP TV
- H/K Avr-120
- H/K FL8380 CD player
- X-Box
- Bravo D1 DVD
- Sat DIsh receiver
etc

Preferably something quality but not ridiculously expensive.</font>
<font color='#000000'>Panamax's PowerMax 8 line will do the job quite nicely at a reasonable price. don't swallow the marketing nonsense about a power strip or &quot;power conditioner&quot; having an effect on the sound of your audio system. It won't unless it is seriously malfunctioning or you set it up improperly, creating a ground loop. But there are differences in how much protection various surge suppressors offer, so compare those specs when shopping.

Panamax</font>

D

Dan Banquer

Full Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>I'll disagree with part of your post. Keeping RFI/EMI from getting into your system from the AC line can be audible. This will entirely depend on the amount of RFI/EMI coming through the AC line (or how much interference your system is subjected to) and how well the system is grounded. Most unbalanced systems will have some sort of ground loop. Reducing that ground loop is always helpful.
According to GDS, much of the Home Theater equipment is making a real improvement on reducing ground loops. That's a good thing.
             d.b.</font>

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis