U

Unregistered

I am a newbie looking for some information so if you can help me I will really appreciate it.
Ok, I don't know how people feel about Bose and their Acoustimass systems but I have owned a set ever since the late 80s and never had any complaints - then again I am not an expert on these products. Anyway, this system was the AM-5 I w/ the bass module and pair of double cubes. Just recently I came across a set of 5 brand new JEWEL CUBE speakers that I couldn't pass up. I was planning on getting the adapters (for regular wires) so that I can connect them to my receiver. I know two of them will be connected to the sub module (the old one I have) and from there to the receiver. The other three, center and rear (2) speakers I was hoping to connect directly to the receiver since it's got the connections for surround.
Will I damage the three jewel cube speakers (C,LR,RR) that will be connected to the receiver? Will I be better off buying the powered subwoofer and media center from the LIFESTYLE SYSTEMS (28 and 38) to use with the jewel cubes or just use my old sub module for the front right and left speakers and connect the surround ones directly to the receiver? I will appreciate any help w/ this. I know Bose does not sell them independently so I would have to look elsewhere since buying a complete system from them or anybody else for that matter is out of the question. I can't afford to spend $3000-$4000 on a system. Please reply to franko75@yahoo.com or in here.
Thank you.

JohnA

JohnA

Audioholic Chief
If it were me

If it was my system, I would avoid BOSE like the plague. But if you like them...it is your money. I would buy a solid set of speakers and a powered sub, you can find very nice systems for under $500. As far as damage to the speakers hooked up directly....it might happen. I was installing a set for a client and was unable to hook them up directly, it needed the crossover/electronics in the sub to make them sound "good."

U

Unregistered

thank you

Thank you John for replying. Like I said I am not an expert on what is the best out there (that doesn't cost you an arm and a leg) but I could see you don't like BOSE. Can you please enlighten me? I don't know much, for all I know Bose products may be overpriced or quality isn't as good as people think. Before I invest more on Bose products I would like to learn more.
Thank you

U

Unregistered

By the way

The old bass module (possibly the first model made, who knows?) does have that crossover but of course, this is only for the front speakers (L and R). Back then the subwoofer only included the front speakers. Newer, powered subs include 5 speaker outputs for surround but of course the sub can only be connected to their media center via some special cable (din maybe I don't know). Anyway, my receiver does support surround, the only thing I don't know is how many watts it would deliver to the rear and center speakers. My concern is of course damaging the rear speakers. Center channel is the VCS-10 and that model I think has been around a while so I am not too concern about it. By not using their own equipment (media center for example), I won't get the full (100%) benefits that these speakers deliver but other than this, should it be fine? Help.

Beegowl

Beegowl

Junior Audioholic
Bose Bashing

If you have much experience with audio equipment, you will find that Bose is not a beloved brand for several reasons. It is overpriced for the audio quality produced. Much of the equipment is proprietary and can't be used with other brands of equipment. This is the case with their vehicle audio products which also are unreliable over a period of time. They don't publish any of the audio specs for their equipment, excusing this with a sleight of hand statement that means, essentially, we can't produce credible specs so just listen and believe that our equipment sounds great like we tell you it does.

Audio hobbyists and serious enthusiasts try to find the best equipment with proven specifications and good sound and love to argue about how all of it fits together, if it was a good value, and whether it sounds good or not. Most enthusiasts will agree that Bose equipment is more hyperbole than substance. Still, some people think it sounds fine. My ex-father-in-law who thinks woofer and tweeter means dogs and birds, believes his Bose radio, which he gave $400 for, is the greatest sound since stereo vinyl. But, he doesn't listen to anything but the built-in speakers on his Sony 27 inch tv and the stock car radio speakers in his Subaru station wagon. So whadduz he know? In my opinion, you just receive better value by shopping at audio stores for speakers and equipment that sound good to you rather than buying Bose because they say it sounds good.

U

Unregistered

Just realized

Beegowl said:
If you have much experience with audio equipment, you will find that Bose is not a beloved brand for several reasons. It is overpriced for the audio quality produced.
Just realized that after reading a couple of posts in this forum. I know I would never spend that much money even in one of their systems but since I got the 5 jewel cube speakers relatively cheap can somebody tell me what are my best options? I know many would say selling them is one option but other than that, what is there for me to do now that I have them?
Thanks

Beegowl

Beegowl

Junior Audioholic
The Hookup

I downloaded at the Bose website the guide for Acoustimass speakers. According to the guide posted there, the speakers are compatible with any amplifier of from 4 to 8 ohms. However, they also say not to connect the cube speakers directly to the speaker connections on the receiver or damage could result. So, there you go.

Karp

Karp

Audioholic
Unregistered said:
Just realized that after reading a couple of posts in this forum. I know I would never spend that much money even in one of their systems but since I got the 5 jewel cube speakers relatively cheap can somebody tell me what are my best options? I know many would say selling them is one option but other than that, what is there for me to do now that I have them?
Thanks
The problem is that the cubes cannot handle full-range sound, so you have to limit the frequencies that they reproduce to the upper-midrange and high frequencies.

How about using the current bass module for the two rear speakers, then buy three of the cheapest small subs you can find that have high-level (speaker) inputs and outputs. Hook the subs to the receiver and the Bose cubes to the subs. Set the sub's crossovers as high as they will go. The cubes (should) be able to handle frequencies above 120Hz without much trouble.

You could also buy a cheap HTIB (home theater in a box) or even 5.1 computer speakers and swap the surrounds that came with it with the cubes.

Of course, I'd sell them on ebay and buy better speakers. Bass and (to a lesser extent) mids sound like crap on a small boom box when you try to turn it up very loud. The Bose cubes have basically the same drivers that a $20 boom box has - 3" paper cones.

U

Unregistered

Thx

Thank you guys for the info. Another question, what do you guys think of their media center which I think has the DVD built in? I know you all have mentioned the quality of the speakers is nothing out of this world. How about the technology in this electronic piece? By the way, I am learning alot from this forum so please chime in if you will.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis