Please help with subwoofer decision

S

sokrman14

Audioholic
If any of you are familiar with REL, Sunfire and Quad please help. I am looking at a REL Q 201, Quad L subwoofer, or Sunfire True subwoofer. I have Quad 12L as my mains, and will eventually get the 22L, I have a Marantz SR 7400 receiver and use audioquest interconnects and speaker wire. I want to know what sub would go best with my speakers, would a different brand, or the matching sub go best? If anyone isnt familiar with Quad L series, check out iagamerica.com , then go to Quad and click L series. Also, if I place it behind how should the Phase be? 0 or 180?

HookedOnSound

HookedOnSound

Full Audioholic
You don't have to get a matching sub from the same speaker manufacturer in your system in order to perform adequately.

What you should concern yourself with getting a sub that will match your needs depending on factors like your budget, room size, freq. response, etc.

What is your room size(dimensions) BTW?

Others will chime in with more suggestions for sure.

Good luck shopping.

S

sokrman14

Audioholic
My room dimensions are about 8x15, pretty much a rectangle, low cielings. I am also unsure as to what size subwoofer I should be doing and proper location of it. I am leaning towards a front corner. And also, what is the difference between a front firing and down firing as far as sound quality? Does it matter what kind of floors? I have carpet

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Down firing and front firing have no difference's really. Theres agruments that down firing woofers disperse sound better and have more tactile energy.

Front corners, or all corners for that matter tend to be the loudest, and boomiest (thats not a word) spots.

I like me sub front center, just to the right of the TV, and it does just fine, with little localization (being able to detect it). Your room isn't to large so your not going to need anything huge, or in numbers.

What kind of designs are these subwoofers(other them the sunfire)?

SheepStar

S

sokrman14

Audioholic
The Quad L subwoofer is down firing, which goes as low as 25 Hz, and the REL is front firing as low as about 22Hz. I am not leaning towards the Sunfire so much as I am the matching Quad sub. I have only seen great reviews for it, but my local dealer that carries them doesnt have it on display yet. Both the REL and Quad run $1500, so price point doesnt matter. If you happen to want to check out the Quad sub look here: http://www.iagamerica.com/quad/lseriesmodels.htm

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I am the matching Quad sub
Your a subwoofer! COOL! :rolleyes:

I think that 1500 is going to looks more than performance. The subwoofer doesn't have to match the speakers as stated above. If you want a certain look, there are many company's that have veneer options.

A 12inch driver hitting 25Hz at -6dB is kinda weak. Thats what my Athena does (maybe -10dB) and its 300 bucks. Mind you theres no distortion figures or GD.

Where are you located? What other subwoofers are there that you like or want info about in your area?

SheepStar

S

sokrman14

Audioholic
I live in ventura county, about an hour north of L.A. I have access to just about anything. Velodyne is in my area, as I said sunfire and REL, M&K, Polk Audio, Infinity, Definitive Technology, Monitor Audio, and I am sure more. If you could give me some insight of what it means @-6 dB that would be great, I have seen stuff like that but never sure what it meant. That could give me a better understanding.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
sokrman14 said:
I live in ventura county, about an hour north of L.A. I have access to just about anything. Velodyne is in my area, as I said sunfire and REL, M&K, Polk Audio, Infinity, Definitive Technology, Monitor Audio, and I am sure more. If you could give me some insight of what it means @-6 dB that would be great, I have seen stuff like that but never sure what it meant. That could give me a better understanding.
LA, yeah you are close to any sub you want :rolleyes:

The -6dB thing refers to FR (frequency response). The subs lowest note that is in the FR is 25Hz @ -6dB. This means its 6 dB's down at 25hz from its highest SPL (what ever Hz it is).

$1500 can get you some nice SVS units, or a couple nice Hsu units.

SVS:
http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-box-ultra1.cfm

You can get a PB-12Ultra in ANY veneer you want and stay within your budget (not including shipping)

Hsu:

http://www.hsustore.com/vtf3.html

You can get 2 of these, which can be tuned using a port plug like the svs, for under your budget in any veneer aswell.

Hope this helps,
SheepStar

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
sokrman14 said:
Without question, on this forum you will see virtual unanimous support for SVS and Hsu subwoofers. I believe that these two will provide you with a superior product at each price point, over the manufacturers you listed. I believe you are quite near the Hsu plant. Check them out. http://www.hsuresearch.com/

If you're going to get just one sub, I'd suggest a downfiring, as I find them to be less localized.

@-6db just means the sound pressure level (spl) from the speaker has dropped that many decibels from its average level at some frequency (in the case you stated...at 25Hz). That is not a very good performer when matched with Hsu or SVS subs (at much less cost). You probably won't hear much from the Quad sub at 25Hz...you'll be getting thumped by the bass from SVS or Hsu subs at that frequency.

Since price seems no object in this acquisition, but you have a smallish room, probably the Hsu STF-3 or SVS PB-12 are all you need. (They are $599 each. Thought Hsu has a sale going on right now on its Piano Black VTF-3 units...very nice indeed!) Hsu will be coming out with a new sub in a month or so...called the VTF-HO. It should well be worth the wait, or save a hundred bucks ($899 pre-order) and place your order now. Either company would be glad to provide you with input regarding the size/type sub that would suit your room the best.

Happy sub hunting.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
I think you should check out the Velodyne HGS and DD series, as well as the new 12" sub from AV123, the UFW-12. It has lots of goodies, as well as stellar looks.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
jaxvon said:
I think you should check out the Velodyne HGS and DD series, as well as the new 12" sub from AV123, the UFW-12. It has lots of goodies, as well as stellar looks.
Thats an odd one coming from you :rolleyes:

the DD series is a little out of the 1500 range. HGSX would be sweet. Servo control, low distortion.

SheepStar

S

sokrman14

Audioholic
I think the HSU subs would be a really nice addition, but do you know where I could listen to one to test it out? And also, The sub will be located in the front corner, what is the proper phase? 0 or 180?

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Sheep said:
Thats an odd one coming from you :rolleyes:

the DD series is a little out of the 1500 range. HGSX would be sweet. Servo control, low distortion.

SheepStar
I'm always in favor of Hsu subs, but when you have the budget for a nice Velodyne sub, it would be stupid to eliminate them. As for listening, check out the message boards at Hsu and see if you can find someone near you who is willing to host an audition.

http://www.hsuresearch.com/forum/

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
sokrman14 said:
I think the HSU subs would be a really nice addition, but do you know where I could listen to one to test it out? And also, The sub will be located in the front corner, what is the proper phase? 0 or 180?
Phase is relevent. Once you have your sub, you have to experiment and determine the best setting. It's easier if theres a switch, but you can customize it more with a POT(knob).

SheepStar

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis