Please help with receiver choice

S

skinnychicken

Audiophyte
Hello,

This is another post for advice on which receiver to buy, so please bear with me. I'll give you some info and feel free to give any input if you want.
I'm basically starting from scratch, so right now the speakers don't matter in the decision. I would say it would be used for about 50/50 music/HT. The room size is about 20x14x8. I'm basically looking for something of quality both in sound and build. My budget is around $400 max.

I've had my eye on the Pioneer 1014 and the Yamaha RX-V650 or 550 so far. I'm just having trouble (like many others) on pulling the trigger on a particular model and brand. I'm also thinking I may not need the power and features of the two listed above for my needs. For me, the more simple and "no nonsense" -> the better.

Thanks for any input!

W

warpdrive

Full Audioholic
Just bite the bullet, one day you might regret not having the inputs/outputs that those higher models offer you. I did, and ended up upgrading even though it was otherwise fine.

Either the Pioneer or Yamaha is fine. I'd spring for the Pioneer in that price range...hard to beat it.

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
skinnychicken said:
I'm just having trouble (like many others) on pulling the trigger on a particular model and brand. I'm also thinking I may not need the power and features of the two listed above for my needs. For me, the more simple and "no nonsense" -> the better.

Thanks for any input!
Since Yamaha has just come out with their XM-friendly line-up, the prices on the XM-less are dropping

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4026435 (I just put one of these in my bedroom HT system, not a ton of features, but great sound)

etronics has the 650 for well within your budget

http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?stk_code=yamrxv650&store=&catid=4118

you can actually get an RX-V1500 at etronics for what most others are selling the 650 for...

I don't know anything about the Pioneers...

if you want simple, the Sony STR line is easy to work, but merely average quality of sound (they don't do DTS very well at all). you can get very good prices on these at www.bhphotovideo.com

S

skinnychicken

Audiophyte
Thanks for the replies.

It's still a toss-up between the Pioneer 1014 and the Yamaha 650.

These both have their own automatic equalization feature; does anyone have experience with these features and know which one does a better job?

Thanks again for the help.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Denon AVR-1705 Dolby Digital Surround EX, Dolby Pro Logic IIx & DTS ES Discrete 6.1 A/V Receiver $399. Or step up to Denon AVR-1905 7.1 Dolby Digital Surround EX, Dolby Pro Logic IIx & DTS ES Discrete 6.1 A/V Receiver $499 If you do some research you can probably get the AVR-1905 for close to $400. It's a good all round receiver.

MasterChief

MasterChief

Junior Audioholic
I also had to make choices betweens recievers i wanted to buy the denon 3805 but since im a high school student i have budget and a half. I first had a technics 5.1 and i wanted to upgrade to 7.1. I looked at the yammies and they were nice but i heard how there bright i think so i looked elsewere i seen the denon 3805 damn beatiful. In the end i choose the pioneer i got it for like 350usd. It great, so many features you cant beat it for the price.

MasterChief

MasterChief

Junior Audioholic
oh i forgot its also almost identical with the Pioneer Elite 52tx that retails much more. They have the same specs and ive heard people saying they sound identical. i think the 52tx has bigger capacitors tho.its all good tho.

Shadow_Ferret

Shadow_Ferret

Audioholic Chief
skinnychicken said:
It's still a toss-up between the Pioneer 1014 and the Yamaha 650.

These both have their own automatic equalization feature; does anyone have experience with these features and know which one does a better job?
The only review I read is that Pioneer's MMACC is easier and works better than Harmon-Kardon's EZSetup and whatever Denon calls theirs. Didn't mention how it compared to the Yamaha.

MasterChief

MasterChief

Junior Audioholic
Shadow_Ferret said:
The only review I read is that Pioneer's MMACC is easier and works better than Harmon-Kardon's EZSetup and whatever Denon calls theirs. Didn't mention how it compared to the Yamaha.
Also true, ive heard MMACC is better than alot of Auto Calibrations out there and it is simple and usually right on. Im not sure but i read someonwere they were the first to use have an auto calibratition?

rgriffin25

rgriffin25

I would say the Denon 1905 or the pioneer that you mentioned. Both are good performers. The Denon lacks the auto set-up, however it does have OSD which makes set-up a bit easier.

I have had very good luck with the MCACC on my Pioneer receiver.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
mazersteven said:
Denon AVR-1705 Dolby Digital Surround EX, Dolby Pro Logic IIx & DTS ES Discrete 6.1 A/V Receiver $399. Or step up to Denon AVR-1905 7.1 Dolby Digital Surround EX, Dolby Pro Logic IIx & DTS ES Discrete 6.1 A/V Receiver $499 If you do some research you can probably get the AVR-1905 for close to $400. It's a good all round receiver.
Be careful with those two Denons. They lack the power to drive hungry speakers and have been known to shut down after hours of loud HT play. I don't know if it's a lack of a large enough heat sink, but if you buy one of them, over-ventilate your cabinet with a cpu fan or separate fan, or make sure it's open in the front, rear, and on top. I've done a lot of research on all of them. Just a heads up.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis