Please help with quick wiring ?

W

westie7

Enthusiast
I have a Yamaha 650 and just a quick question on wiring. If connect a optical and a coax to "DVD" the coax will have priority. Now, the manual says the receiver handles digital and analog signals seperatly so what would you hear if you had one digital device and one analog device connected to the same input? Would you hear both sound streams?

Thanks

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Your DVD player is kind enough to have optical and coaxial digital audio outputs (as well as analog). You should pick one - either optical or coax, as they both carry the same audio at the same quality.

On the receiver, you can tell the receiver to choose either digital audio or analog audio or to auto-detect the audio type. It will then use that type of audio. It does not mix audio, but does have the capacity to automatically detect and switch from digital audio to analog audio should the digital signal not be present.

I personally hook up both digital coax & analog audio from my DVD player to my Yamaha receiver. It uses digital audio for all movies, but zone 2 uses analog audio.

W

westie7

Enthusiast
I meant if you had 2 componants, ie. 2 dvd players, one hooked up to analog and one to digital. You did answer my question however. I forgot about switching/auto.

One more
If the reciever was recieving 2 seperate streams of audio, one on digital and one analog, and it was set to auto would it give priority to digital?

T

TMASD2002

Enthusiast
BMXTRIX said:
On the receiver, you can tell the receiver to choose either digital audio or analog audio or to auto-detect the audio type. It will then use that type of audio. It does not mix audio, but does have the capacity to automatically detect and switch from digital audio to analog audio should the digital signal not be present.QUOTE]

Like BMXTRIX said the receiver has the option of digital audio or analog audio. When you connect each component to the input on the back of the receiver you tell the receiver where to get the digital signal from. You can hook up one component per input.

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
BMXTRIX said:
I personally hook up both digital coax & analog audio from my DVD player to my Yamaha receiver. It uses digital audio for all movies, but zone 2 uses analog audio.
a second reason to run analog is that some receivers can only use a two-channel input for their "Direct" music modes. :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis