Please help what to replace!?

H

HurleyBC

Audioholic Intern
I am a broke student but luckily its tax return time here and I have enough money to either replace my surround and rears or replace my subwoofer.

Current: Surrounds and rears

Energy Take 1 Speakers 100 watts

Replace with:

Athena b2's and b1's for the rears

OR

Current: Subwoofer

Energy 8 Inch sub

Replace with:

Velodyne DSP 12 inch sub

I know you probably will suggest an outlaw or hsu type sub but I like the velodyne. I am just looking as to whta will make the most dramtic difference to my system. I have Athena f1's and the c1's already so the Athena speakers would be a good match, but my 8 inch sub is lacking especially for low frequencies. It also sounds a little fluttery during some points in movies. So please give me your feedback

H

hammong

Audioholic Intern
Given those two choices, I'd upgrade the subwoofer first. You're right that a lot of people will tell you they love their SVS and HSU subs, and with good reason -- but there's nothing wrong with your Velodyne DPS 12 choice, it will be a fine upgrade to your Energy 8".

I know some people just love their surrounds, but to me -- a surround speaker gets such a light workout, and can sometimes be equalized to match your fronts/center with the receiver. I'd take a subwoofer upgrade over a surround upgrade almost any day.

Greg

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
HurleyBC said:
I am a broke student but luckily its tax return time here and I have enough money to either replace my surround and rears or replace my subwoofer.

Current: Surrounds and rears

Energy Take 1 Speakers 100 watts

Replace with:

Athena b2's and b1's for the rears

OR

Current: Subwoofer

Energy 8 Inch sub

Replace with:

Velodyne DSP 12 inch sub

I know you probably will suggest an outlaw or hsu type sub but I like the velodyne. I am just looking as to whta will make the most dramtic difference to my system. I have Athena f1's and the c1's already so the Athena speakers would be a good match, but my 8 inch sub is lacking especially for low frequencies. It also sounds a little fluttery during some points in movies. So please give me your feedback
I have the same setup for my surrounds that you are considering (r1, b1's). I regret now not using b1's all around, like hammong said they get very light work and I dont really need the extra box space. Plus the r1's will create a much better ambient effect with a bi-polar speaker design. Oh and I would definetly recomend the sub upgade. I am also very happy with my athena's.

athena fs2 x2
athena b1 x2
athena c1
athena r1
klipsch ksw-12

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis