Please help, Pioneer VSX-914 A/V receiver wont power on...

C

chaddz

Audiophyte
thank you!

I also registered just to say "thanks!" My VSX-515 also was unresponsive after the power went out due to a blown transformer in the neighborhood. The "Enter"-"Advanced Surround" combo worked perfectly! Thank you for saving me from throwing it out!

Chadd

S

shamu900

Audiophyte
Vsx920k

Hi,

I have VSX-920K. Suddenly i started noticing my AVR doesn't power up. I came across this forum. I did pressed STANDBY/ON and Advanced Surround simulataneously recommendation suggested in this forum and BOOM by AVR all back up. Thanks for saving my AVR and not paying UPS shipping charges to Pioneer Electronics.

STANDBY ON and Advanced Surround on VSX-920K

edd1e

Audiophyte
This is a long shot as no posts 2 years lol... i have this problem with my vsx 521.. was weak sound from right channel and after some tinkering and moving of the unit there was a small thud and a flash followed by some smoke..ive done the reset bit which works ,but switches off again after 2 secs,, any ideas guys,, thx in advance

edd1e

Audiophyte
Also i did the reset continually for a minute which results in more smoke,,plz help,, lost without my amp :(

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
If you're getting smoke, it's gonna take a heluva lot more than a simple reset. ...like a trip to the tech or, probably more economical, a replacement.

Erlymorninbuzz

Audiophyte
I have a vsx 521-k also No smoke. Red mcacc light lites up but nothing else happens I have tried all kinds of button combos nothing seems to work. Am i missing something?

Andrei Zharov

Andrei Zharov

Audiophyte
Fixed my dead Pioneer VSX-821-K by pressing ADVANCED SURROUND and STAND BY/ON when the receiver was in OFF mode

S

street

Audiophyte
made an account just to say thank you. i was convinced it was completely fried, i use it almost daily for the past 5 years so i did not expect it to work just by pressing 2 buttons simultaneously but you proved me wrong. thanks

A

a fernandes

Audiophyte
hello, i recently buy an old pionner vsx-ax3, when i listen to the amplifier at previous owner it was ok but now when i want to power it on the red light standbuy starts to flashing and the power goes down.
what should i do? how can i reboot it?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
hello, i recently buy an old pionner vsx-ax3, when i listen to the amplifier at previous owner it was ok but now when i want to power it on the red light standbuy starts to flashing and the power goes down.
what should i do? how can i reboot it?
Unplug the unit and press the on button about 10 times to completely power the unit down.

Now plug the unit back on. Wait until the red light flashes or stays on.

Now do the reset procedure to factory default.

This is the procedure for that receiver.

While holding down the TONE button
press the STANDBY/ON button for
about three seconds.
2 When you see RESET? appear in the
display, press the TONE – button. OK?
appears in the display, press TONE +.
When OK appears in the display all the settings, including
the speaker, surround sound settings and tuner settings,
will be reset in the unit to the default settings.

If that does not work you are out of luck.

That is a very old receiver that does not even have HDMI inputs. It also comes from an era when speaker impedance ranges were higher. That receiver is specified for speakers of 16 to 8 ohm impedance.

My hunch is that the impedance of your speakers are too low for that unit and it has blown it up.

A

a fernandes

Audiophyte
Hello TLS Guy, i tried to do what you had told me but my VSX Ax3 is still doing the same, it starts working and after a minute or two it shuts down, then I let the receiver disconnected from the power source for about a month to see if it does the reset to the default settings and it is still doing the same, starts and after a minute or two stops working again,I opened the box to see if any fuse has blown up but all the three that I saw are ok. If you know anything that I could do to put it to work I would appreciate that.

thank you

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Hello TLS Guy, i tried to do what you had told me but my VSX Ax3 is still doing the same, it starts working and after a minute or two it shuts down, then I let the receiver disconnected from the power source for about a month to see if it does the reset to the default settings and it is still doing the same, starts and after a minute or two stops working again,I opened the box to see if any fuse has blown up but all the three that I saw are ok. If you know anything that I could do to put it to work I would appreciate that.

thank you
There is nothing you can do to get the unit back up. At the age of that receiver it is not worth the cost of repair.

It is time to send that unit to the recycling center and purchase a more up to date receiver.

A

a fernandes

Audiophyte
thanks for your reply, have you got any idea what is the usual damage at this situations?
the av is not dead it is in a coma...;)
today it worked about 30 minutes and then stoped again.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

thanks for your reply, have you got any idea what is the usual damage at this situations?
the av is not dead it is in a coma...;)
today it worked about 30 minutes and then stoped again.
It is impossible to say without the unit on the bench. Something is drawing too much current though.

Does the receiver shut down if not connected to the speakers? If it shuts down then, the receiver is basically toast at that age.

If it does not shut down disconnected from the speakers, then check your wiring for wire whiskers that my be shorting the speakers to ground.

If there are not shorts, then consider higher impedance speakers. I have a feeling your speakers are too low an impedance for that old receiver rated at 16 to 8 ohm load.

A

a fernandes

Audiophyte
yes the receiver shuts down when is not connected to the speakers, probably it is toast.
congratulations for your amazing room.
thank you

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

yes the receiver shuts down when is not connected to the speakers, probably it is toast.
congratulations for your amazing room.
thank you
Yes, it is the end of the road for that receiver unfortunately. Thank you for your comments on my room.

K

kovilanr

Audiophyte
Hi guys. I know this thread is old but i was so happy that i found it... But then nothing seemed to work on my pioneer vsx-d512. Its stuck on standby but after awhile it comes on wen i press standby button. Then it says "amp error" and switches off again . I've tried everything on this thread but ders no joy. Pls help.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Hi guys. I know this thread is old but i was so happy that i found it... But then nothing seemed to work on my pioneer vsx-d512. Its stuck on standby but after awhile it comes on wen i press standby button. Then it says "amp error" and switches off again . I've tried everything on this thread but ders no joy. Pls help.
Well, it means what it says. One of the power amps is down and drawing excess current. Unfortunately it is new receiver time.

K

kovilanr

Audiophyte
Well, it means what it says. One of the power amps is down and drawing excess current. Unfortunately it is new receiver time.
Will it be worth repairing and then selling? I've bought my friends sony 6.2 and it would be great if I could recover some cash. Thanks for the quick response.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis